Thai language schools

bgtp

It looks like I'll be able to spend about 7-8 months in Thailand this year. I would like to take this opportunity to learn Thai - spoken/reading/writing. I'm looking for recommendations of schools in either Bangkok or Chiang Mai (not sure where I'll settle for this trip, part of that may depend on where I find the best language school for my situation) I'm willing to put 30 hours per week into this effort.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may find that putting 30 hours into study per week is easier said than done. Nevertheless, if you can dedicate yourself to it, come 7 or 8 months from now, you'll find yourself with the language and social ablities to approach strangers and hold complete conversations. I highly recommend a private teacher, as they can help you most efficiently. I'd recommend spending 3 hours a day studying with your teacher for 5 days a week. With the other 15 hours, you could work on memorizing troublesome vocabulary and pronunciation, or simply use the time to practice by chatting with the locals.

The thai language school at Chiang Mai University is a very progressive school, and is probably the best in Thailand by far,though I dont think it would be cheap and would most likely only suit someone who has previously studied at Uni level (not necessarily a language ).

The Dept. Head there is a women and she is very switched on. If you want more details Ive got her contact details somewhere so let me know.

I too took the 3 hours per day course at Somchart and was very satisfied with the teaching. I have already had two courses of 60 hours and plan to take another this year when I next visit BKK. Three hours a day is quite hard but the lessons are usually stimulating and fun. I would recommend the school to anyone. But to become proficient in Thai is a heavy committment.

chok dee

Chiang Mai University works with some of the big guns (Universities) in the USA to offer intensive Advanced Thai Language courses to American students, which is might explain their credintials to some extent.

I was impressed with somchart when I started last aug. I asked the owner if I would need to book lessons around new year but she said not as they were never busy then. When I arrived on 8th I was told they were all booked up until today, which only leaves four days.

When I went today they gave me a new girl who, it seemed could not speak any english at all. I asked if I could have somebody else but no-all booked up. I feel a bit pissed off with them at the moment. She did give me the email address though which I do not remember seeing on the paperwork she gave me when I booked. So if you want the same teacher book up, or you might get one which is not so good. Waste of a trip as far as lessons are concerned.-peter

Interesting in that I was at Somchart today and signed on for

30 hours of lessons - MWF 2hrs per day - starting Feb. 3 as there were no teachers available any sooner than that. Of

course we have Chinese New Year coming up at the end of January. But, I was told my teacher was very pretty :-)

Later on when I asked what my teacher's name was I was told

it would depend as the schedule wasn't yet set. Guess they

only hire pretty teachers.

-redwood

Archived