Football the Thai Way!

Straycat

Hi!

The following piece in the Nation kind of aroused my interest:

THAI STARS GROUNDED (The Nation, Tue 14 Jan 2003)

Players in Thailand's World Cup squad will not be given permission to play overseas. Vijit Getkeow, Football Association of Thailand (Fat) president, said yesterday.

The Fat yesterday announced they will financially compensate any foreign teams who have Thai national team players under contract. The Fat officially explained that the association did not want its World Cup players to be taking part in leagues in other countries.

"To qualify for the World Cup final, the players and coaches have to be disciplined. The players have to be in the local league to get used to their collegues styles and be ready for their training camps", said Vijit.

I cannot help but beeing rather amused by this approach, Football the Thai way ;)

Good luck in the qualifiers!

Hi!

One or two players also used to play in Singapore (team: Sembawang). More here: Thai National Football Team

Ok, there aren't that many players abroad -- but still, isn't it a very odd approach to bar the players from playing in their respective leagues!?

If I was a head coach in Singapore, it would piss me off to no end! :cussing:

EDIT: Also, the Thai approach is a perfect way to make sure that teams abroad will avoid to recrute Thai players.

Archived