GP letdown

I was passing through Bkk for a couple of days, so I decided to stay at the Grand President as a treat. I know I could have stayed in cheaper places, but I always liked the comfortable beds (to me) and the location ect. I walked in and was quoted 1645 when I asked about the TSM discount they said yes 20% I said great. Well the place is pretty much the same as I had remembered. Come time to check out I was charged 1450 plust a 10% service chage. Now I am no math wizard, but it just didnt add up. Of course my attempts to point out the flaws was useless. They just kept pointing to the numbers. Maybe I am confused but wherent the prices at GP Nett. So the next big shock was that they wanted to charge a 10% service charge to use a credit card. They had a placard explaining something to the effect of the raise from a mere theft of 5% to out and out robbery of 10% was do to employee benifits. Yeah right. I mentioned that I thought the TSM discount included no surcharge for credit card, but again the lady just kept pointing to the numbers. So I paid cash, and have now removed the GP from my list. I just don't understand how they think they can stay in bussiness with these kind of tactics. But then again TIT. All and all having a grand time, but I must say I will never come to Thailand in the high season again. The higher prices and the loads of really rude euro-snot types, is quite shocking. Geez have I invented a new term?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't stay there, however, have kept up with the reports just in case need discrete place.

The price is always NET, total, whatever term used for inclusive of service and VAT.

As for credit card, if it is VISA and perhaps MasterCard, several exhange booths will do cash advances with passport. I think the fee is all VISA i.e. 5percent or less. I've never trusted SEA hotels with my card and firma. Nor those in Central and South America.

have a nice day

Nok

now regarding CC's obviously the various card issuers gotta make a living & thus charges hotels some money to be able to accept CC payments. however most don't pass that on to customers & the few in LOS who do used to be no higher than 3% max!

5% is outright robbery while 10% is :onfire:

any outlet who charge ANY CC surcharge will prompt me to do a FREE ATM withdrawel & return with a dissapointed face ::

I used to use this as our corporate hotel, where all the engineers would be booked in. Close enough to fun, but not in their face if they didn't want to play.

However, they just kept putting up rates, so I dont use them anymore.

Their loss - however re the Visa card fee. It is useually 3%. as it is everywhere in THailand. This is because Visa charges the retailer useing Visa card a 3% service fee!

The amount Visa charges a retailer varies and it can be quite small. Whatever the retailer is being charged, it is sensible to think you are getting charged more. I am also of the understanding if a retailer adds any fee for using Visa will result in them losing their privelidge to accept the card. Is there a number to report these situations??? I'd love to say to a retailer, "wait a minute, visa told me this can't happen, I'm going to call them now and tell them they are wrong".

Not everywhere in Thailand adds a fee for using Visa and if they do, I pay cash or go elsewhere. If everyone took this approach, this problem would go away because Visa would notice that no one in LOS is using Visa and do something about it.

Looks like big policy (and price) changes as of New Year.

Dear Mr. Symes,

Thank you for your email, we regret that can not confirm your reservation with Executive Studio, as our Executive Studios are not available on that period. We are pleased to offer you a special rate of 2003 with one bedroom suite (THB) 3,050.- net per night.

Please be advised, that there will 10% service charge on room and other services.

Regarding the rates 2003, they have indeed been slightly increased. We nevertheless wish to give our repeated customers the best available rate and are therefore happy to

offer you 15% off our daily rate.

Regarding the service charge, this is a new employee benefit that has been introduced only starting 1st of January at the Grand President, as until today serviced appartments

did not provide service charge to its employees.

This increase may seem considerable, but we can assure you that this still reflects an excellent value for money and we sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying at Grand President again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our property in the near future.

Best regards,

Kwan

Secy. to RM

Archived