GP letdown

Yes same thing today (Monday 20 January).

Wanted to book Topaz Suite for end of January - old price 1,320 Baht. New price 1,450 baht + 10% service charge = 1,595 Baht. An increase of 20% ::

I think I will piss off down to Pattaya and stay at Eastiny Inn for 850 Baht per night :D

Cheers

Fatbastard33

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"This increase may seem considerable, but we can assure you that this still reflects an excellent value for money and we sincerely hope that this will not deter you from staying at Grand President again."

I would guess the GP has experienced high occupancy rates due to the good reviews it has received from this board and my observations from staying there 4 times during the past 4 years. However, I feel the quality of the rooms is not being maintained, and will change hotels if the price increases are in line with your post.

I wonder if these increased rates will reduce the occupancy rates, and result in them negotiating some rates down for frequent guests?

Well I've just booked here: http://www.merchantcourthotels.com/bangkok/business.htm I'm not having visitors this trip (short visit to regular TGF) booked through wotif.com @ US$80 per night, seems I might have got cheaper emailing them. neither the less true 5 star at the GP Royal Suite (tired) room rate.

If the GP can maintain the occupancy rate at the higher rates with poorer rooms, good luck to them. It will be full of punters paying 5000Bt BF + 5000Bt S/T's I'm sure.

It seems, many hotels highered the rates this year. I checked Omni Tower and Centre Point and they higher their prices as well. But a little bit of negotiation, and I was offered the old price and an additional discount of 10% - 20% respectively. Because of the a little bit worn out rooms at Centre Point, I opted for Omni.

charging a fee to use a cc for services is a definite ripoff, and aginst all cc compainies rules.

I was charged a 5% fee on a air ticket from a small bkk agency a few years back. I paid it, when I got back I complained to my cc company ( citibank visa) they refunded the 5% fee and said they would contact the travel agency also.

I think using a cc for most things is a good idea, if there is gripe ( even after the fact) is ligit, the cc will side with the customer.

[color:"green"] I was charged a 5% fee on a air ticket from a small bkk agency a few years back. I paid it, when I got back I complained to my cc company ( citibank visa) they refunded the 5% fee and said they would contact the travel agency also. [/color]

The GP buries the surcharge inot the room rate at checkout time. So it does not appear as a separate charge! :cussing:

The GP promptly responded to my request (I asked for the TSM discount and reminded them of my 4 stays in the last 2 years) for rates with the following:

<<<

Dear Mr. Shotover,

Thank you for your email. We are pleased to offer you a special as

below:

Please find herein our room rates for 2003:

(Thai Baht)

STUDIOS Sq.m. Daily Weekly Monthly

Topaz 26 1,800 10,500 32,600

Executive 32 2,400 14,300 43,000

SUITES

Royal 50 3,600 21,000 64,600

Grand 60 4,000 24,200 71,500

Diamond (2 Bed Rm.) 75 5,000 31,400 96,600

Sukhothai (3 Bed Rm.) 135 8,300 49,500 162,800

*Remark : - We are pleased to offer a 20% discount on the above rate for

TSM.

-Please be advised, that there will be 10% service charge on room

and other services.

American Breakfast avail at, (THB) 160.- nett per pax per day.

Airport pickup (car) avail at, (THB) 600.- nett per one way.

Airport pickup (van) avail at (THB) 1,000.- nett per one way.

You could get more information and our floor plans and our location

on our site www.presidentpark.com

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further

information.

Look forward to hearing from you soon and having you at Grand

President.

Best regards,

Kwan

Secy. to RM

Tel : ++ 66 (0) 651-1200

Fax : ++ 66 (0) 651-1260/1

>>>