Upmarket Expensive Nightspots. Are they worth it?

walletss

I remember some years ago when I was doing some business in Bangkok an eager supplier took me out to a couple of up market places. One of these was a Japanese members only club. The name of the establishment was the Ju Ju Club. One of those places where someone looks you up and down before they let you in. I am not Japanese but was let in because my associate was well known to them. Talk about expensive. The idea was that you bought a bottle of alcohol, the bartender would put your name on it and all the hostesses would gather round and manicure your nails and massage your neck. You would be expected to offer them drinks from your bottle, which in my case was drained in less than hour. It wasn?t even a barfining establishment. At the end of the night I saw my host hand the bartender 4000 baht for this charade.

Having to pay my own way these days, I avoid these places because they don?t suit my budget. Would other board members like to share any similar experiences?

It's almost that I'd like to say: "Downmarket, 'Cheap' Nightspots. Are They Worth It?" :)

Seriously, though there are many different types of upmarket nightspots in Bangkok, some of them with close to 'in-your-face-guaranteed-sex' (e.g. Poseidon model lounge, Copacabana etc) and some where it's not (e.g. Orbit, Piano, Exotica and a long list of others). All in all, it's a nice change of pace and if your main objective is to have a good time (as opposed to necessarily getting laid) I think they're well worth both the money and the effort. The upmarket places have the advantage of offering supreme service, entertainment, a nice environment, good food and REAL liqour and most often very beautiful female companions. These are things that I think NEP, PP and SC fails to provide most of the time.

But yes, prices, can be rather ridicolous -- but it's still not more than I'd shell out back home in good old Scandinavia. And the Thai places certainly provide much more sanuk.

Are they worth it? Yes. Sometimes. :)

Hi wallet,

I have never been to any of these places, but certainly by London (and probably other European cities') standards 4,000 baht is not really a lot - about 60 pounds. You would be lucky to get away with less in any of the London "Hostess" type places - even for very limited activities. Over ten years ago (on expense account) I spent a couple of hours with a client and had a bill of 1,400 pounds.

I guess that such things have comparable costs in Japan and I have heard that Korea gets very pricey too. What is amazing is that people can have a good time with female company here in BKK for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

Khwai

Hi,

Used to frequent Kanpai before it closed (about 4-5 years ago), and spend a few evenings in The Piano.

I must admit that I much prefer these places, but unfortunately they can get rather expensive and I can't really afford them.

Are they worth it? Yes, I think so, but then again I speak decent Thai (which can make a big difference in the overall enjoyment factor) and like the type of girls found in these places.

Sanuk!

Hi OH,

If you knew me, I don't think you'd say that I'm 'upscale kind of guy' either. I don't wear a monocle or anything ;)

If you have USD 100-300 USD to spare for an evening, you could certainly afford it.

I do think it's worth it (if not only to see the Thai twist of things) -- but, certainly, I'm not opposed to the 'low end/normal' market either...

Hi,

"I have heard of places in BKK where you could easyly spend 10 times as much."

No doubt. Small example of the costs for a party of 4 guys in Kanpai, staying for about 4 hours (prices are from memory so may be slightly off, but since place is closed it is just an example anyway).

code:

- room 1,200

- whiskey 2,000

- mixers free

- mamasan 180 (one drink)

- fruit 150

- food 500 (some snacks / Thai food)

- girls 4,480 (4 girls, 7 drinks each)

- tips 2,100 (girls 500 each, waitress 100)

------- +

10,610 Baht

And this was in a place that was not really that expensive.

Looking at it, it isn't even that bad, divided 4 ways. Of course taking them out to the disco afterwards would add quite a bit more (another 7000 Baht just to get the girls out of the bar!).

Sanuk!

Archived