bars long gone

Any bars no longer with us that you miss, or have fond memories of for wotever reason?

On Patpong, just down from Foodland, was a go go bar called Mike's. Cheapest happy hour in the area, yet no bugger ever went there. I wos in there one day, and a blind geezer walks in, sniffs round and does a prompt u-turn! The girls were avergae issan types, but at 35 baht a beer for happy hour, couldn't complain too much.

Opposite Foodland was a bar called Sawadee Bar which I made a regular Saturday arvo stop over after lunch at Bobby's. Only seem to recall no more than a handful of girls there at any time. Still outnumbered the punters though. I guess the owner is pleased he renovated the place and renamed it Cosmos.

Also in Patpong, the Kangeroo Club. No, not the bj bar, but an Aussie bar serving ice cold beer from a tub fridge, showing AFL and serving meat pies.

The Paulaner Brauhaus. Strange that the Hartmasdorfer should remain while Paulaner and Hofbrau should hit the dust.

The Blue Fox in Soi Ngam Dulpee, only joking.

I guess the biggest loss has to be the old Thermae - the entrance through the dunny was pure class.

Any more...

For what it is worth, the place in Patpong that used to be "Mikes" is being rennovated with plans to reopen in a few months - I think it will be called "Hearts" or similar.

New owner is Bob King, who was original founder of Sharky Bar in Phnom Penh, and also Brunswick Pool Bar on Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

i started off in wong's - still go back once in a while. Something about the dank dark dunny where even roaches fear to tread...

sat in their one day, Wong was in such a miserable mood even the rats upped and bolted for the door...

Not a bar I miss from personal experience.

When I lived in the LOS, I heard many stories about the original Thermae.

I didn't have much money for sanuking and never made it the old place.

I learned about it being razed and a new one built after I returned to the states.

I'm kind of sorry that I had the opportunity to experience a part of BKK sanuking history, but missed it. frown.gif" border="0

Do any of the old hands have any good Thermae stories you wouldn't mind sharing?

The Joker - corner of Soi 29 - Mukda downstairs and the Country Music group on the second floor (I think - maybe getting a bit befuddled!)

The bar in the Park Hotel and the dancer who went wild to "Boney Moroni" (sp?)

The Mosquito Bar, Klong Toey - for the really adventurous!

Touch bar patpong, '94 this was almost the first bar I ever went into, first was limelight now also gone. Touch bar had really great girls . I remember a cute girl who kept putting the prices down. At that time I had nver been with a bar girl and she eventually priced herself at 700 baht including the barfine. I passed it up unfortunately.Midnite reminds me a little bit of touch bar except the midnite girls are not as cute.-peter

quote:

Originally posted by abbot thong:

Any bars no longer with us that you miss, or have fond memories of for wotever reason?

Any more...

Darling soi Cowboy 1990 on asoke and Long Gun side. They had a two level stage, girls danced highest level first than glide down at eh, a lower level. I was picked-up by my first bg. In fact I wanted an other one, but she had chosen me, so i was "off teritory" for the others. Was my first lesson on bg behaviour.

Archived