War on Drugs Cont'd

Straycat

From todays Bangkok Post ( x - this URL is likely to change within 24 hrs)

WAR ON DRUGS

Dealers to face lethal govt. action

Wan Nor warns: Death may await

Post reporters

Interior Minister Wan Muhamad Nor Matha has issued an ultimatum to drug dealers -- quit the drug trade or prepare to face harsh state action which can be lethal.

Mr Wan Nor yesterday ordered all district chiefs to make sure drug rackets in their areas understood they had to "give up and get out'' or they could "get caught'' or even "get killed''.

"Tell them to stop selling drugs and leave the communities for good or they will be put behind bars or even "vanish without a trace,'' Mr Wan Nor said. "Who cares? They are destroying our country.''

The minister also warned authorities they were endangering their future careers if they happened to spare drug traders whom they knew or became lethargic on the anti-drugs campaign.

"In our war on drugs, the district chiefs are the knights and provincial governors the commanders. If the knights see the enemies but do not shoot them, they can be beheaded by their commanders,'' Mr Wan Nor said.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared an all-out war against drug traffickers and dealers last week. He set 9 pm on April 30 as the deadline for provincial authorities and the police to finish ridding every square inch of the country of drugs. ...

Now, this is not the place to discuss Thai politics -- but just imagine your own government phrasing something like above! :eek: Don't these people have legal and foreign relationship advisors? ::

May be very harsh. But the drug matter is a very bad thing. I know from personal experience. I don't think any effort should be spared to end this very bad thing.

I don't see how anyone can peacfully enjoy the fruits of this deadly commerce. I would not be able to sleep at night if I knew that something I supplied was causing the pain and suffering that drugs are doing in BKK naw and in the whole country.

I just feel very strongly about this. I agree with warnings that are being given, even if I know that they may not be enforceable.

I'm opposed to drugs as anyone else. However, I'm also not too keen on government officials taking the life of persons not by virtue of the law.

Me neither. The summary execution of alleged drugs dealers is fraught with dangers. What if (hypothetically) a policeman wanted someone killed for personal reasons, or financial gain? He could easily shoot the person and claim they were a drug dealer. Not that that would ever happen in Thailand ;)

A professional law enforcement authority together with an efficient and just legal system should be able to deal with these people, but that's the crux of the problem....

May be very harsh. But the drug matter is a very bad thing. I know from personal experience. I don't think any effort should be spared to end this very bad thing.

I'd love to see the drugs gone and the dealers dead. But

(a) I don't see it happening without the usual cronyism, botching, etc; with the usual nonsense of excusing plenty of guilty parties while somehow managing to simultaneously screw over an equivalent number of innocents.

(B) Ministers with vigilante attitudes are troubling indeed on many levels. In places that have rule of law, speeches and attitutes would make reference to things like bringing the full force of the law to bear on drug dealers, passing new laws, stepping up enforcement, etc. They don't even bother with lip service for such notions in Thailand. (Thus reinforcing the perception that LOS is a place without rule of law, btw.)

Perhaps some of you here should also think a little bit before opening your mouths. As i sit here typing this i am looking at an advertisement at the top of the page for happy hour, "all the beer you can drink" etc. Those of you who say you would like to see the end of drugs, death to dealers, etc, does that also apply to alcohol and/or nicotine, two of the deadliest DRUGS on earth?

Wait! Let me guess, thats "different", right?

So politicians define your morals? They say its legal so it must be ok but if they say illegal you deserve death? In many cases for something the politicians have done themselves. Must be nice to have such easily definable (by others) black and white morality.

Archived