Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

Well it is now just gone 6 am and about 1 hour ago I was awoken to an almighty din of JCB's, diggers etc ripping apart all the beer bars between soi 8 and soi 10.

I took a walk from my apartment and then have barricaded the frontage onto sukhumvit, and behind is just a pile of rubble.

I saw one apparent Thai owner of a beer bar and he was losing it big time with the workmen. God knows what he hoped to achieve as there must have been between 150 and 200 men ripping the place apart.

If I find out any details I will post them for you.

Cheers

farangman

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Sounds like someone up the food chain wasn't forwarding payments on up to the higher-level predators - and presumably did a "runner" after the "high season" monies came in.

At least, that's my guess,based on a few BKK history lessons. 'Glad my apartment faces another direction.

Think of the flood of bargirls looking for new venues to peddle their "wares".

AMAZING Thailand. Never a dull moment.

"Let the good times roll!"

The Fighting Fish

Stone

:neener:Soup

I just spoke on the phone (about 10 am Sunday Bkk time) to a Soi 10 bar owner, who is currently in the Lumpini Police Station (where I could hear loud voices in the background).

According to my bar owner friend:

She got a call Sunday morning around 4 am that a large crowd of men and machines were in the Soi 10 area. By the time she got there, they had blocked off the area and were starting to tear down the structures.

She said it was the army, not policemen or private workers, tearing the buildings down, and that they would not let her retrieve any belongings or property from her business.

She had no idea this was forthcoming and has not yet found out why this has been done. She fears she is going to be out a sizable investment, and does not know what the many ladies working in the complex will do.

I'm sure we'll hear more accurate and complete details as the day goes on.

Archived