Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This can only be the work of one man, Mr. P the Thai Minister of Interior. I have always thought that those bars were way too close to the main road and, I think some high ranking politician who obviously did not like the scene there, or perhaps owns a condo in the neighborhood has called in the buldozers. I feel sorry for the bar owners, but in this current political climate, they should have known better.

Just walked by about an hour ago

EVERYTHING was reduced to rubble - bars, internet cafes, even the indian video shop!

It's already been boarded up and they have even put barbed wire up. Private security force was still on watch outside.

Real shame

Just walked by about an hour ago

EVERYTHING was reduced to rubble - bars, internet cafes, even the indian video shop!

It's already been boarded up and they have even put barbed wire up. Private security force was still on watch outside.

Real shame

I just got off the phone with a senior Lumphini policeman. Plus or minus language problems here is what he had to say. He got a call early this morning( he works 9PM until 6AM) from his boss and was told that 500 soldiers and 50 ploice from outside Lumphini were going to raize soi 10. He was told that the owner had not been recieving rent and had called the "mafia" army and paid them to clear the place.

I personally know several of the bar owners and know for certain they were paying their rent timely to somebody so something is amiss. I also know that when it first opened there was a problem getting licenses for some of the bars (the original 10 in a cluster on the street) because the work had not been permitted. But, I thoght that had been resolved and it wasn't a problem for the later additions.

Perhaps the man with the master lease wasn't paying rent or the land was sold. Several of the bar owners were policemen themselves. A couple of the people involved in developing several of the bars were moderately senior policemen so I am sure this story has not fully evolved yet.

I really don't know any more than this except that a lot of girls are going to be looking for work today.

That was my fav internet/laundry shop, beer bars never bothered with. I do remember hearing some time ago that the whole area was meant to have a shopping mall built on it. Time will tell.

I will not miss the bars, far too many springing up over the past few years making sukhumvit look more and more like pattaya than bangkok. Surprising that it came out of the blue like this, could it have anything to do with those zoning plans?-peter

This can only be the work of one man, Mr. P the Thai Minister of Interior.
For a start the Interior Minister is Wan Muhammad Nor Matha and I would say he had nothing to do with this, He might have places closed for some reason or another when laws are broken or deemed to be broken, sending in bulldozers must be the work of the owner of the property, More of this story will come to light when the real facts are heard, The people with leases there will be in for a big legal wrangle by the looks of what happened there,

Archived