Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

Read this in next weeks newspaper

BANGKOK POST:

Soi Zero Beer Bars Destroyed:

Hundereds or workers were left unemployed and furious bar owners are calling for justice. Mam from Linda bar cried "First they tear down bar beers on Soi 10. Now us. Why? No one to protect Issan workers"

Last night at 4 AM an army of buldozers, security guards, police and arm officials arrived at Soi Zero (formerly known as Buckskin Joes). They errected a barbed wire fence and leveled the enitre area within 2 hours. Bar owners and employees had no notice. Everything was destroyed: bars, alcohol stock, pool tables even shrines. The entire area is now a flattened collection of broken concrete, wood, and lives.

Representatives of the Lumpini Police Station were able to calm the furious crowd gathering. "No, this was not another wanton act of destruction. We finally got confessions from all the parties involved in the Soi 10 event. So we had to take them to re-enact the crime. Soi 10 could not be used as there was nothing left. So what could we do? We buldozed Soi Zero".

Mai, owner of the ex-Crazy Bar was relieved. "First I think they out to harm us. But now I know it was for the good purpose."

Also on the scene was Nit form the ex-Nana internet Store. "They come to shop last night and take everything to Soi Zero, because they have no internet shop to pretend Soi 10. What I not like is that they take my brother to pretend he man in Soi 10. Why they cut his ear off?"

A spokesman for the Army and Soi Eric Development Corp stated "The re-enactment was good. It does not prove fact. No restaurant here, so we push 15 food cart in fron of bull dozer. I see no laundry. Can not use in court!"

As the spokesman was departing, he was overheard asking a tuk-tuk drive if there was a laundry in Asoke Plaza. :clown:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Last night, a Soi 10 beer bar owner told me she was expecting to get some partial compensation this (Friday) afternoon at the Lumpini Police Station."

Spoke yesterday with this beer bar owner who is feeling more and more pessimistic that she'll get any substantial reimbursement for the loss of her bar. After much paperwork and discussions with the police, she reduced her claim from

1 million baht to 600,000 baht (she had just renovated her bar and bought a new pool table, which is gone).

Last Friday, he Nickel Company offered her a final settlement of 40,000 baht. She didn't take it and is still going everyday to the Lumpini Police Station for negotiations.

Recent articles indicate the army is (quite successfully) thumbing its nose at police efforts to hold their officers responsible.

I still believe the land owners intended to reimburse the business owners some money when they decided to level the property. It seems now they are trying to see how little they can get away with it.

BTW, The current issue of Time Magazine (Feb 10, 2003) has an article on this event.

Walked by today at about 3pm and a coat of creme colored-paint had been added to the combination metal and concrete fence.

Already there were slogans scrawled on it such as:

Taksin = Mafia

Taksin, fuck off!

Foreigners, support bar owners

And so forth.

At about 5:15pm I passed by again and all the slogans had already been painted over. I also noticed a strong police presence in the area. About six cops and an assortment of security guards.

You can still see the signs for a couple of the bars and Ali's Video Store as you pass by on the sidewalk.

I didn't see anyone like last week hanging out on the sidewalk or taking items from inside the fence. Still, there is plenty of demolished stuff inside. I wonder when it will all be carted away.

Archived