Soi 10 Beer Bars are no more

farangman

It sounds suspiciously like what happened at Clinton opposite. The bars were paying rent but it was not going to the right people (owners).

I would think that after all the problems of clearing the bar owners from Clinton somebody has taken a view and decided to flatten the place. They will face the music afterwards but they have their freehold with full vacant possession!

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had breakfast in the French bakery on the opposite side of the road. Yep, the area is all boarded up and behind the boards is a mass or rouble with no one being allowed in. Speaking to a few of the roadside vendors and shop owners, apparantly the land is owned by a very senior General in the army who was not receiving any rent. Last night at 4pm soldiers turned up and within 2 hours the place was demolished. Apparently the bars had been paying rent but it was not being received by the General. Sounds like the bar owners have lost our big time. I also heard that the bar owners were warned and told to leave but of course many did not - but there was no warning about the timeing of the 4am clearout.

At 1pm today, lots of security guards and people waiting around but no one being allowed inside. Time will tell what happens to this land but knowing Thailand, it will probably stay boarded up and an eyesore for the next couple of years.

Performer

Anybody know if they looted the places first? there was a lot of valuable stock and all those computers. Wonder why the owner did not go after the person the rents were being paid to. Seems like this might be an excuse rather than the real reason-peter

Says Performer:

apparantly the land is owned by a very senior General in the army who was not receiving any rent.

Or he was in the need to earn some browny points...

What an incredible story!! I knew there was talk that these places would be shut down, but figured it would be like the Clinton Plaza situation that stetched on for months and months.

Those of you in BKK, thanks for keeping the rest of us posted on what's going on around there.

The closest I have to a "regular" BG (have seen her on three consecutive trips) was working in Soi 10 bar after being chased out of Clinton. Wonder where she'll end up now?

:: ::

I must admit to being somewhat impressed by how the operation was carried out. As posted earlier the area is now completely detroyed rubble and firewood. the whole area cordoned off with very large and high concrete blocks with barbed wire on the top and these blocks protected by more than a score of private security guards.

the whole operation seems to have been well planned. nobody forewarned the whole block levelled and the barracaides moved in place.

Certainly not done in the heat of the moment.

a number of girls, "protesters" and onlooking bystanders now mingle around the block.

Heck I was at an event last night and the words pissup brewery and the inability to organise one in the other came to mind when thinking of the Thais last night.

Soi 10 was not the work of the same group. Very impressive in terms of its execution

Just picked myself off the floor after hearing this one! ::

What do you think might be the "real" story for this severe over-reaction? Lease-holders not paying rent? Well, a dumb move by a landlord to chop his arms off to spite the slow-paying bar-renters - doesn't ring true somewhere. Does anyone maybe think that the two other major entertainment venues might have "colluded" to wipe out for good and evermore any business opposition that might have had a detriment to their trading figures? Notice how quiet those two major other areas have been for a while??? Just a thought to ponder!

"Speaking to a few of the roadside vendors and shop owners, apparantly the land is owned by a very senior General in the army who was not receiving any rent. Last night at 4pm soldiers turned up and within 2 hours the place was demolished. Apparently the bars had been paying rent but it was not being received by the General. Sounds like the bar owners have lost our big time. I also heard that the bar owners were warned and told to leave but of course many did not - but there was no warning about the timeing of the 4am clearout."

I could understand the land owner 'bulldozing' the property if they had alternate plans for the site that required immediate transformation, but it makes no sense that this would occur simply to not forwarding rent money. If the owner were not getting rent money from a "master leasee", then it would be pragmatic to start collecting it directly from the bar owners rather than destroying any source of income.

This must be a dramatic reason for army soldiers to so quickly and ruthlessly destroy these businesses. Could PP, NEP, and SC be next?

Archived