What % of BGs have HIV/AIDS?

lucky_me

Says Where is this so called AIDS explosion, I have mentioned it before, but I dont know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who has HIV. [/quote:

You should get out more and travel to zambia, south Africa, china and parts of eastern europe, you'll find plenty od hetrosexually infected people there, and in lots of other locations.-peter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but I dont know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who has HIV.

[color:"blue"]

I'm not as fortunate as you ... and once upon a time, this was just a hypothetical discussion for me. But now reality bites .. hard!!!

I've been in LOS 2+ yrs now and know both farangs and BGs who have HIV+. As far as I know, they were/are all heterosexual.

[/color]

So, I believe 7% is a pretty accurate estimate. A pretty scary one too. ... How can we try to avoid the 7%?

I'm somewhat familiar with that study. I don't know that it is all that relevant to the pay-for-play catering to foreigners, which as far as I know has not specifically been studied. The Thai scene is considerably different than the farang scene. I'd guess it's less that 7%, but I don't have any hard facts to back that up, but I and many board members could point to reasons why this may be so. 0 out of 5 of the Thai bargirls I've had tested were negative.

Basically you can't avoid it. There is simply no way to know in the casual situation. Sad, but I don't think it's that scary. 7% of bargirls may have HIV. But 100% of the cars on Bangkoks roads have the capacity to kill you. That's why I take precautions and look before steping out onto the road. Likewise, I take precautions by wearing condoms for casual sex.

Hi t3,

One of the real problems with HIV/AIDS has been the stifling of sensible debate by PC attitudes.

IMO, not without some knowledge of the subject, the previous poster is largely correct but, to cover your point, he should have added the category of people living on a bad diet with poor health care standards, poor personal hygiene, high infection rate of other STD and consequent lesions allowing exchange of body fluids in both directions - not just the usual one.

Of course, to say that the ordinary people in Africa live in this condition, while true, is not the least bit PC.

For a long period resources were wasted in fighting AIDS by directing them at everyone, not just the high risk groups - including low income Africans. (I almost wrote poor Africans but low income sounds better, don't you think?)

What, me PC - never.

Khwai

The HIV in Africa is a different strain of HIV to that found in Europe and elsewhere. Also in Africa they do not actually test for HIV ( they cant afford to ) if you have 3 out of 6 symptoms, such as fever, weightloss etc for more than a month they you are classed as HIV positive.

Additionally people in Africa have always been suffering from similar afflictions, poor diet, poor conditions etc.

As I mentioned earlier they talk the problem up a lot to get more $$$$ from international agencies.

STH

Hi wyd,

The comments by STH relate to risk. No-one is saying it is impossible for those outside the high risk groups to become infected.

If you drive down the expressway at 200 kph you have a higher risk of an accident - but you might get away with it. If you drive at 60, it is still possible that you will hit a truck.:dunno:

Everyone should take precautions - every time.

Khwai

Archived