Ever been unemployed for more than a month ?

gobbledonk

Wow - paying your workforce like that, I can begin to understand how you can afford to spsonsor GoGo dancers

Well it's all a matter of priorities.

Sweaty young man, works hard, no responsibilities, spends excess money on lao kao, girls.

or

Beautiful Thai lady, takes care of family, cares for me, smarter than shit, trapped in hopeless life style.

Easy choice for me.

By the way we have TV at rice farm, (sorry only Thai.....will help your language skills) Mama cooks good Thai food and GF does western stuff for me and her. :grinyes:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says artiew:

As Jasmine points out in her post, money is one thing, but having a purpose each day is another.

Anyway, I'll soldier on. Good luck in your own situation.

Man, I'd be worried if I couldn't think of anything to do all day! This is the kind of time where you learn what you really want - your own personal Groundhog Day.

Artiew,

We all face the possibility of extended periods of unemployment now and again. This advice won't be of help to you right now, but for the future you need to keep a cash reserve of 6 to 12 months living expenses to carry you through these periods. This allows you the time to do proper job search for a suitable job without being forced out of financial desperation to grab whatever comes along. As others mentioned in this thread, you can use the time to upgrade your skills or even learn something that is unrelated to your career but is still interesting to you.

Harlequin

Have read recently that to hire yourself an untrained and unskilled house-maid in Bangkok will set you back circa 3000 baht per month and for a skilled and experienced one, up to 5000 baht or so - sorta can see why there are many staff in some private homes etc as its certainly cheap to hire labour it seems.

Hi,

[color:"red"] Have you ever had to attend an interview at 4 hours notice ? . [/color]

No, but go for it.

I have never been in formal interviews for ages. When I cam back to this company again, it was from teasing one of my old colleaques on a bus that I would consider coming back if ...... so and so ( I still had a jet lag from travelling then). That WAS the interview!

I have tried to work on my net-work of colleagues carefully and all jobs have been from friends and friends of friends.

Good Luck :hug:

Jasmine,

I have tried to work on my net-work of colleagues carefully and all jobs have been from friends and friends of friends

I am increasingly of the opinion that this is the best way to ensure one's long-term career survival. A lot of the jobs arent even advertised : the organisation either has enough candidates internally or they get enough references from existing employees for people they know who are good at what they do. My 'mistake' was to remain in the same place for 7.5 years, when moving every 2-3 years would have given me a much wider set of contacts. Makes for a pretty crazy CV, tho :)

Says artiew:

Jasmine,

I have tried to work on my net-work of colleagues carefully and all jobs have been from friends and friends of friends

I am increasingly of the opinion that this is the best way to ensure one's long-term career survival. A lot of the jobs arent even advertised : the organisation either has enough candidates internally or they get enough references from existing employees for people they know who are good at what they do. My 'mistake' was to remain in the same place for 7.5 years, when moving every 2-3 years would have given me a much wider set of contacts. Makes for a pretty crazy CV, tho
:)

I network constantly, and move around a lot, sometimes with the same company, and sometimes make a change.

In almost every profession there are trade shows, suppliers and customers, lots of networking opportunities, I tell my employees all the time that to get ahead you have to play the game, of course that only gets you in the door, then you have to perform.

Goods luck to you, and try to step outside that box a bit, there are lots of jobs out there, but not always in what a person wants to do.

In Canada, we have a glut of techies and IT people, but are desperately short of experienced tradespeople.

My major customer will hire all they can find, at a average wage of close to a 100 thousand a year, mechanics, welders, heavy industry jobs that will always have to be done, and there are never enough people to do the job.

I didn't see the original message, but about attending an interview on 4 hours notice....

This is not the way I would like to start off my relations with a new employer. Unless the employer has a decent reason for having you move your butt within 4 hours notice (bad market not withstanding) I say give them a pass. Tell them why too. You want more consideration as an employee than alterling your life on 4 hours notice.

<<burp>>

Archived