Spiders in Thailand

Fidel

When I left my bedroom this morning I saw something run at great speed towards the bathroom and attach itself to the exterior wall.... it was a spider... and man it was big! :eek:

I've been to Australia and I've seen the huntsman spider which I know is quite harmless, but the spider this morning was just as big as a huntsman.... it was a little skinnier and a different colour.... kind of grey legs with brown stripes and a black body with a white pattern.

I glanced back to the bedroom to see if I could find a weapon... but in the blink off an eye it had disappeared!! Shit!

Now I needed a shower and I was going to be late for work... I went into the bathroom.... proceeding cautiously... and sure enough there it was, scurrying up the wall, too big to hide.

I wasn't taking any chances... this spider had to die before I was taking a shower.. so I got a basketball and a broom and set about flushing it out. Eventually killed the b*****d... but I've had the heebie jeebies ever since.

Does anyone know what kind of spider this may have been and if it is dangerous or not?

I don't want to see any more of them that's for sure.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry Fidel,

can't help you with the species but can efer back to my backpacker days at cheap bungalows at various isolated beaches. There were always spiders under the roof or up against the walls. I learned to live with them as long as they always were in the same position as when I left them. Whenever one was missing, that's when the shit hit the fan and panick broke loose.55555555555

Good luck on ya tho,

Limbo

It is unusual to see one in the day time as they are mainly active at night (i think the name means night spider). A uni friend got bitten by one when he was doing some forestry studies a few years back in the rubber plantations down phuket way. He said it was a very painful experience similar to a scorpian sting.

Samak wrote: "in isarn they eat them deep fried!"

Wanna gobble some spiders...then go to Skun, a small town NE of Phnom Penh. For decades they have raise one kind of spider and it is served, deep fried, all over town. You can see some gals carrying a large tray, stacked up with a mound of spiders, hawking them around town. No one recalls the history of how this little town started raising and consuming spiders. Skun is unique as no other town/village in Cambodia offers a similar fare.

And..yep...I tried one..and only one....but like all insects they taste like the oil and spices they are cooked in.

Archived