Spiders in Thailand

Fidel

Says spirit_of_town_hall:

The thought of being bitten by one is horrific, is a scorpion sting like a magnified bee sting. I have personal experience of being stung by a bee nothing else.

STH

This chap said that his leg blew up like a ballon and the pain was excrutiating ...very similar to a scorpian. Not my idea of fun.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't taking any chances... this spider had to die before I was taking a shower.. so I got a basketball and a broom and set about flushing it out. Eventually killed the b*****d... but I've had the heebie jeebies ever since.

Now you have to hope that her 10 million angry family members weren't watching the execution. If it were me I'd be concerned about some nocturnal revenge. :devil:

Ah see you have nothing to worry about as the other posters have said these spiders are as harmless as wasps.

Of course if several hundered of the dearly departed's relatives were to creep under your bed sheeet and attack at once in the middle of the night. Well, have you heard of killer bees that swarm in attack? :eek:

I am more scared from any spider than a snake or scorpion.

Therfore a good spider is a dead spider in my house, brrrr

Some people are allergic to even mosquito bites. Swimming in the sea some season here, you can get bitten by I really don't know what it is (some say it are flies). It leaves a red itching mark for some days, but on the missus it leaves a scarf forever. She doesn't swimm in the sea any more :cussing:

thalenoi

I think you might be talking about "sea lice" but i have also wondered if there are sea stingers in Thai land similar to the Irikangi box jellyfish and "man of war" that they get in the topical waters of Nothern Aust?

Back to spiders: The "harmless" Australian Huntsman can still inflict a nasty bite that draws blood if you happen to have one in your shoe, this i have witnessed first hand (foot). For all their bad press i still have a soft spot for the poor old misunderstood spider.

Hi Thalenoi,

I taught my wife to dive and she had similar rashes on her body. i think that's the sensivity of the Thais people skin, I can swim/dive in the same water and it doesn't affect me.

I came to the conclusion it must be small particles from jelly fish who have been hussled up during storms or the like and the small parts stay almost invisible in the water.

A widely available aid can be Kalamai, it comes as a watery cream in a bottle.

My mrs now uses a full length body suit whenever we go diving and it helps as well.

Cheers,

Limbo

Rookie,

very recently I read an article about this village, at least it was about a village kind a halfway between PP and Shinoukville.

In this vill they bread tarantula's and eat them. The whole vill was involved in breeading and selling them.

The origin was rooted in the Pol Pot regime, when food was scarce and and people had to use other resorts.

Could this be the same village?

Cheers,

Limbo

Archived