Spiders in Thailand

Fidel

Why did I have to kill it? Haven't you seen the movie Arachnophobia?

I needed a shower and the spider / shower combination... as any B movie fan will tell you, is a recipe for disaster.

Incedently... the spider is not the one pictured on the site siam info site... it was a lighter colour. I'm going to ask one of my Thai friends about it again today and I'll post up a report about it.

I am worried about the possible presence of more of the bastards.... I think I'm suffering enough for my crime though.. as every Gecko that scrambles across the wall scares the shit out of me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to give you further concerns but when I was in Kata my next door neighbor was a rather attractive sing-a-song girl. She kept complaining of the noise from a tookae. If you haven't seen them they are a moderately large lizard that makes quite a racket at night.

She kept begging me to kill it. Well I tried and tried to catch it so as to release it into the wild, aka our back yard. I never was able to get it. Finally I acquiesced and smashed it a block of wood. I felt immediately remorseful.

Well I told some Thai friends who warned me that killing a tookae was very bad luck.

About three weeks later I had a motorcycle accident and broke my collarbone.

You have been warned. :eek:

limbo wrote:..<snip>..I read an article about this village, at least it was about a village kind a halfway between PP and Shinoukville. In this vill they bread tarantula's and eat them."

No, not the same town. Skun is about 60-km NorthNW of Phnom Penh, not south. I've been to a number of the villages between PP and Snookie...and I didn't happen on one that served spiders. Of the articles I've read, Skun is the only town in Cambo which has a history of raising and eating spiders. Maybe there once was one to the south, as you said, but their interest in spiders short term and stopped when Pol Pot was ousted?

'Ah see you have nothing to worry about as the other posters have said these spiders are as harmless as wasps'.

disagree strongly.

was stung by a wasp last summer and spent 4 days in hospital.

i had a reaction to the sting and my face swelled up,my throat was so swollen, my airway was restricted.

there was talk of a trachy and i was on O2 for 4 days.

my pulse rate was double the norm and i lost all feeling in my arms for 2 days.

many people are highly allergic to wasp/bee stings.

i have seen people die from a sting.

I don't know if it is the same kind or not, but I saw a pretty bad-ass looking variety during my time up North. Big, and even scarier-looking when they have an egg sac hanging down; that makes it look like they've picked something up and are running away with it.

The Navajo believe they are descended from spiders and will therefore never kill one, believing them to be relatives. I say: Bugger THAT! The only good giant spider is a dead giant spider as far as I'm concerned, and I slaughter them freely.

Have you tried sleeping under a mosquito net? It keeps out a lot more than mosquitoes.

Archived