Spiders in Thailand

Fidel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tracked this down on the web :o

The destination for the first day was to be Kompong Chang about 120km away, a nice short drive to allow us to get used to driving on the Cambodian roads. I was surprised at the quality of the road out of Phnom Penh as it was a good sealed road all the way and a delight to ride enabling us to make some good time. At 11:30 we stopped in Skuon for a lunch of spiders, it's a little place where they breed spiders, fry em up and eat em! The spiders are quite big maybe 7-8cm long and 5cm wide with a long body and hairy legs. At first I gingerly tried a leg, to my surprise it was good, kind of like chewing the edge of a rib were it's a little burnt and crunchy so picked off the rest and ate them. Next I cracked open the head/body which was also good, a bit more meaty and finally I tried the pincer bits which I didn't find particularly tasty mainly hair I thought. The arse I left as it didn't look all that appetizing, but all in all spider is a tasty meal and full of protein. To accompany the meal we asked for a vegetarian meal with rice but were given a dish with meat on rather "small" ribs, only the lord knows whose pet we ate.

Bring back memories to anyone. :neener:

Aroi maak !

At 11:30 we stopped in Skuon for a lunch of spiders, it's a little place where they breed spiders, fry em up and eat em! The spiders are quite big maybe 7-8cm long and 5cm wide with a long body and hairy legs. At first I gingerly tried a leg, to my surprise it was good, kind of like chewing the edge of a rib were it's a little burnt and crunchy so picked off the rest and ate them

What a delicious meal. That's for gourmets to appreciate. :: :(

While in Soi Cowboy with my GF she bought a bag of creepy crawly things from a walking vendor. He has a large tray with many sections containing a assortment of bugs. Large ones, small ones, fat ones skinny ones. She bought the grab bag, and we proceded to munch away. ( Well she and her friends did )

I agree with a earlier poster who said the the real taste or whatever normal cooked taste these critters might have had after death was lost with all the spices and oils used in the frier. I just squeezed that main body between my fingers and sucked on the oily puss that emeraged.

I was both too shy and shocked to ask my GF who was enjoying eating hers to interrupt her to ask how they tasted.So I'm no sure if one actuallys eats them or suck' em.

It just kept occuring to me that these people needed to eat these things in order to stay alive. I found it to unreal to watch them happy picking thought the bag looking for the best ones. ::

S

Thank heavens that my GF can't stand them. She'd rather have a burger, and has a stange liking fo KFC mashed potatoes. :dunno:

Anyway this bug business seems to be a new Thai export hottie, with the marketing of canned "delicacies". I remember the chocolate coated dew worms, and salted grasshoppers from long ago, so maybe they are on to the lastest craze.

Anyone for a spider ranch ? Wonder if we could get BOI funding. ? :neener:

I hate spiders but am unfortunate enough to live in the land of the large & fucking nasty!

Anyway a few years back in my "return to the earth stage " I was staying in a caravan outside of BHyron Bay in Northern NSW IN Land Of Oz. There were about 6 of us dirty hippies staying that night, keen for sleep after a heavyt day of doing nothing. As we were dozing off someone noticed something crawling on them, but we thought it was just a fly or a mozzie etc. We all felt them though, so we put the light on & saw some small things on the wall, they were coming from a framed selection of deab butterlys on the wall, we thought this weird so the most bent of us removed the framed butterfly thing, to find the biggest mother Huntsman ever, that had just given birth to about 10,000 youngsters , that imediately freaked out & started taking off everywhere!! They were all over us, we were going crazy trying to get out & worried about the angry mother, it was really not a nice experience, even though we knew they were harmless, it does not mean you want to share your bed with them!!

On another note I now live in Sydney, home of the Sydney Funnel Web, & seeing as though there is a drought, every week I find one in the water bucket under my window, keen for a drink. As any Ozzie will know , they can live in pools etc , so naturally I am a bit put off by the beeline they make to my window on a regular basis! :doah:

I followed the link posted by Falang. As anybody seen the snake page? I did not know that there are so many deadly snakes in Thailand.

There are commentaries like:

- Coralsnake: "Small amount of venom, however deadly and no antidodes available!" ::

- Siamese Chainviper: "Very strong venom, deadly! Notice :

Very long venomteeth that inject the venom deep and effective!"

And one more comment to spiders: spiders catch smaller insects and therefore help to keep the house clean.

..."Coralsnake: "Small amount of venom, however deadly and no antidodes available!"

..."spiders catch smaller insects and therefore help to keep the house clean. "

Coral snake...not to worry...they have small teeth/fangs and need to chew on their victim a while to break the skin and inject venom. Also they are not fast moving. BUT, I am cautious about the few cobras I've encountered on the golf courses and elsewhere.

And, I agree...spiders do good...I usually catch 'em an put them outside.

[color:"red"]It just kept occuring to me that these people needed to eat these things in order to stay alive. I found it to unreal to watch them happy picking thought the bag looking for the best ones.

[/color]

I believe that many strang food was eaten at one time to stay alive. Then came the time that ones have acquired the taste and it became good food.

I was so surprise when I went to thailand last year when I saw bugs and (looked like) white worms were deep fried and sold in a market. I never saw those growing up in Thailand and I was told that those people were from Isaan. In the North where I grew up they eat the cicadas, I have never acquired the taste but went to catch them with friends.

I will pass on the spiders though unless there was nothing else and I am 500 miles from the next source of food!!! :)

Cheers! ::

Archived