100 GB hard drives in Bangkok?

• 3 weeks later...

Says buksida:

Yeah, they're one of the best value shops in Panthip, I buy most of my hardware in there which reminds me ... the new ASUS A7V8X looks like my next upgrade ::

Havent seen any 100Gig HDDs though either.

I just built a system with the A7N8X board which rocks!!! I haven't tested it to see how it works when I overclock.

I am using an Hitachi/IBM 120gb works just fine and costs about $130. I only use IBM and Western Digital drives.

HD's are such a commodity now I am not even sure that it matters which brand you use for a home PC. Business use however is a different issue.

?Has any one a report on recent HD prices?

I see that Famous & co has 120 GB MAXTORS at 5700.?

Coss,

Here is an extract from a PM I sent to another poster who asked me about a previous post I made on 120 Gb drives.

Saw many places on second floor with 120 Gb drives, as before, and in addition saw that they now have Western Digital drives:

120 Gb 5400 rpm Baht 5,960

120 Gb 7200 rpm Baht 5,950

(odd that the faster drive is cheaper ? I might have made a mistake noting down the price)

Western Digital 120 Gb 7200 rpm with 8 Mb buffer Baht 6,650

and even a Western Digital 180 GB drive, 7200 rpm, 8 Mb buffer, Baht 10,500.

Several places on the second floor adjacent to the atrium have them, including

Just Hardware

Newcastle Computer

Siam Softtech

I also went to the third floor where before I had seen the best deal on the Maxtor 120 Gb, 7200 rpm, 133, drive.

They still have it and the price is now Baht 5,850.

I asked them to show me one (this is Thailand after all, and one is always suspicious that they might advertise stuff they actually do not have in stock!). They had quite a few of them and they were what they said they were!

That place has several outlets on the third floor and their details are:

The World Business Computer

Floor 3, Room 3111 & 3106/1 & 3313

Tel: 02 255 3613, 02 656 5470, 02 255 1844

They also have a web site, though I have not checked it out:

www.worldbusiness.co.th

Just a warning about Newcastle Computers.

They suck. lol. They sold me stuff that didn't live up to their claims. It was a bitch to get them to take the item back and refund me money because they lied to me. They sold me a set of speakers with UK plugs when they knew I lived here and wouldn't swap them out for a Thai plug. After this, I sat in front of their shop and loudly complained so they lost sales. I do it every once in awhile though most can't understand me as I'm speaking English, lol. All these problems occured after I dropped 30K+ at there shop. Should have gone with my friend's recommendations of IRR or Famous

<<burp>>

> I sat in front of their shop and loudly complained so they lost sales. I do it every once in awhile though most can't understand me as I'm speaking English, lol.

What a great frigging idea - rent-a-complainer! If you have a problem with a particular business, we'll take down the details and have someone stand outside the business and hand out leaflets about it and tell people about it until the business corrects the problem! What do you think?

Archived