Simple pleasures

Ranger

Sometimes it's the little things that make living in Bangkok such a joy.

Today, I'm on the crowded skytrain, headed home after lunch and a bit of shopping. Three, twenty-something Thai girls are staring at me and smiling and flirting. They were quite obviously, friends who had been out shopping and were not bar girls. I am returning the smiles and they are giggling amongst themselves and 2 of them are teasing the cutest of the 3 to come over and talk to me. I reach my stop and get out and give them a smile and a wave. The 2 girls literally push the 3rd girl out of the train to force her to talk to me. She just giggles hysterically and hurries and hops back on the train as I wave goodbye to her. I smiled all the way home. Would this ever happen to me in the states? Not in a million years! Life is good!

Ranger

Yep, that's the same sort of thing I try to explain to people back in the UK, without success.

I remember, in my younger days, giggling girls taking a picture of the funny-looking farang in Lumpini Park. Sweet young food-hawkers singling you out for a squirt of a tiny water pistol on Songkraan. Jumpers for goalposts...Ah...

It's a real shock, getting back to dreary old Blighty and getting blanked every time you look at some girl in the street for more than a split-second.

quote:

Three, twenty-something Thai girls are staring at me and smiling and flirting.

Did you tell this one to your girlfriend Ranger?

Following on the back of threatening to take another girl to the Oasis concert, it won't be too long before you're sleeping out on the street.

I'll keep the spare bedroom aired LOL

Yes its the little things about los that make you smile the most. I never forget my first day here, wandering around the side streets off Khoa San Road in my backpacker days. 4 backpackers were haggling over the price of noodle soup with a street vendor, trying to bring it down from 20 baht to 15 baht. The vendors son, a little naked boy sneaked up behind them and started urinating on the back of their legs, and they were so intent on achieving a 5 baht reduction on soup they didn't even notice until the little boy had emptied his bladder all over them. I just stood their and laughed, the little boy laughed and the vendor laughed as the backpackers walked off in disgust, obviously scouring their lonely planet guide to find out why this had happened. Priceless memories, and an important lesson in overhaggling was learned that day. Viva Thailand!!

Thai women are tolerating a lot, but there is a limit.

My thai GF only one time got jealous - then I wanted to have spend the night with same girl as one time before (she herself going to hospital to sit beside sick mother once more).

As she say frankly - 'any girl one time' (=night). wink.gif" border="0

If more there is a risk for it to develop into a relationship. laugh.gif" border="0

And why not - it's good for me also. crazy.gif" border="0

elef

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: elef ]

Archived