Best British food

greg

Can anyone recommend a good resteraunt in BKK for British food.

preferably in a slightly romantic setting as I'm taking the GF(although this is not too important)

An indication on the price would also be appreciated.

Before I get slammed for not eating Thai food it's the Girlfriends idea ever since she saw that twat Jamie Oliver on UBC.

Thanks

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RED ALAERT, RED ALERT

Sorry mate, Jools, Chequers etc are only 2 blocks from NEP

No suggestions outside of 'play' areas. Usually expat (Brit or whatever) places are close to these.

I'd suggest a nice hotel, don't worry about it being British. Your GF probably won't know what is British/French/American Food anyway. :dunno:

More likely to be handi accessable too.

Hope some of the residents can help.

Hi greg,

OK - a suggestion or two, but I would not really say any of them were particularly "romantic".

There are three British pub type places in the Soi 33 area - The Londoner at the corner of Soi 33 and Suk, The Bulls Head on 33/1 (go up beside Villa Market) and the Dubliner, on the other side of Suk more or less opposite Soi 33.

I am assuming Soi 33 is not on your restricted list, but even if it is these are all accessible without the need for actually going into Soi 33. Londoner may be a slight question mark as many of the girls seem to like to eat at the food stall outside 7-11 and you may be spotted - if you have "friends" there.

All three serve British food. I have sampled them all and would probably go for the Dubliner as best - but not much in it. The Bulls Head is often very crowded and the Londoner can be a bit un-atmospheric. It is a very big place and on a quiet night it is like being in a railway station on a wet Sunday morning.

Regarding access - Dubliner and Bull have eating areas on ground level. Londoner is actually below ground level so you have to go down some steps to get to it - and back up again when you come out.

Actually, for the best British food in Bangkok, imho, I would choose Chequers in Soi 4 - but sounds like you know too many people down there! :dunno:

Khwai

PS - on price, not too bad, maybe 500 - 700 per person for 2 - 3 course meal.

Cheers boys

I have eaten in Huntsman (Landmark) and Londoner before

Londoner does seem to be a bit of a Pie and a pint place although food was good

I think Dubliner is winning at the moment

Strange peoppe are suggesting Chequers and Jools are getting mentioned

Never imagined either would be top of peoples lists for food more a conveniant place to have a beer and maybee watch some footie

Although Ive never ate at either

Do most Hotels

i.e. Marriot, Sheraton Grande etc have Brit type resteraunts?

Strange peoppe are suggesting Chequers and Jools are getting mentioned

We're not so strange. :neener: :neener:

Actually in the realm of authentic British food, I would be hard put to find beeter places than those two in LOS. I'm not a huge fan of Brit cuisine but they both do a good job of it.

I'd go for Bulls Head. It wasn't that crowded last time I went (Sunday lunchtime before last) and Thai girls seem to like the roast dinners.

Go on Sunday when you can buy a roast dinner (beef or lamb) for 300B and a chicken roast dinner for 200B. I usually get one of each and share with the girlfriend. (Btw, beef is safer. Thais are unfamiliar with lamb.) Leek and potato soup was appreciated too. The additional benefit of going on Sunday is that after 5pm, there's 'Toss the boss' when you can call the toss of a coin to find out if your drinks are free. Guinness available.

Best British food? Isn't that somewhat like asking for the least destructive atomic bomb? Or maybe best tasting wallpaper paste? :neener:

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Besides my local Indian grocery carries some British food so I decided to try a "beef and onion pie" and a "shepherd?s pie." Now I know why, unlike the French, British culinary arts have not been adopted by former colonies. Thank God, otherwise one might have steak and kidney pie and bangers and mash for dim sum in HK. (Well OK the original food in the US back when there were 13 states was based on British fare, but at least we learned over time)

Guest lazyphil

OK yanky boy, you asked for it!!...a country famous for cardboard big macs you have little scope to take the piss outa my mums home cooked meat pies and millions of other mums around this green and pleasant land...so sod off and pick on some other nation!!!

Archived