Best British food

greg

"And pasta is Chinese!"

Actually, no it's not. That's a common misconception, but another Urban Legend. It's commonly believed that pasta was taken back to Italy from China by Marco Polo, but there are references to pasta in Italian writings 50 years before Marco Polo's birth. They've also discovered the remains of what LOOKS like some sort of pasta-making device in the ruins of Pompeii (but they can't be absolutely certain that's what it is).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says greg:

Ans seen as how the US is a British colony anything you claim to be American we have the right to re-claim as British

Most of my British friends would just as soon not take credit for iced tea or lite beer...

And I didn't mean to be down on the Scots - great folks who I am forever indebted to for giving golf to the world (but they can still keep their haggis ::).

"And I didn't mean to be down on the Scots - great folks who I am forever indebted to for giving golf to the world..."

And *I* thank them for Glenfidditch and Cardhu. (Cardhu is no longer imported into Thailand :( )

Thanks Siam Sam for giving credit to Boston. Not only is there great clam chowder (best is on Cape Cod ... by far), but also oyster stew, seafood stew, lobster with all it's presentations including lobster bisque. I think the sweetest little neck clams and the finest oysters come from Cape Cod waters. BTW, the littlenecks at Legal Seafood are not from New England ... they lack the juicy sweetness. The best 'steamers' (clams) are from the North Shore ... Essex, Ipswich ... yep, best in the world. And this is only the seafood ... salmon is farmed in Maine (fresh!). The Boston area has some great Italian restaurants. American food allows for tremendous variety.

Pete,

You'll probably know this. In the 1600s and 1700s lobsters were considered to be a low animal as they were bottom feeders. They were so prevalent that they were fed to prisoners as a cheap source of food.

As regards the clams, I've eaten my fill of Ipswich little necks and they blow everything else out of the water (pun intended).

You're welcome,Pete. I knew there was more than just clam chowder there, but I wanted to give a brief sampling of several regions. People who have never been to America have to a certain degree actually never even seen American food, let alone tasted it, which they don't even realize, thanks to MacDonald's and KFC et al.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived