Cultural Revelation on Sukhumvit

jitagawn

After I entered a copy shop on outer Sukhumvit I waited quietly for the staff to see what my need was. They were busy and bustling around yet one girl had taken note of me and while attending to her work asked her workmate "Farang raw arai?=What does the farang want? Speaking Thai I perked up, gave them my request and they kindly took care of me. I waited for awhile and then after asking how long it would be I decided to plod down to the 7-11 and get a Gatorade to take care of my dehydration. (Due to the Bangkok squirts which I have not gotten in years but I am rudely sufferring this 5th day after eating a TAINTED farang chicken sandwhich at Starbucks on Soi 5 that had me doubled up in pain within 3 hours but that is yet another story- a less thoughtful one I might add ::)

In any event down at the 7-11 I found the gatorade and a "farang"was at the counter getting a beer or such. He counted out the change and the lass asked him in Thai whether he wanted a bag and straw(in Thai of course) He looked bewildered,smiled and left. She looked at me questioningly and I replied in the local vernacular in the manner to which I myself am accustomed to hearing "The farang does not speak Thai."She looked at me and made an observation I have wondered about for years -"Why do Thai people call foreigner farang? "I smiled,shrugged and said" I don't know we are people and have names too- chai -reuplau?" She replied "mai dee lueyie-chai mai?"(no good huh?) I agreed ,smiled to myself and left ,playing as I so frequently do the eversmiling inobsequious Farang. Astonished that a Thai would wonder the same thing I headed back to the copy shop. We have all noticed when Thais speak to Thais its always Taan this,Pee this, Nong that or Lung this but unless you know them and sometimes even if you do know them it is most frequently,among "some "types of Thais "Farang" this or that to your face .It is almost always"farang" when they are discussing you in their presence with another Thai.A bit impersonal I would like to point is it not? Anyway...

Pondering the imponderable I headed back to the copy shop and while waiting for my things had a delightful conversation with an interesting older gentleman in both Thai and English who is a Senator,retired Doctor and whose son is in "the arts" as am I. He gave me his card and said he would like to invite me to his home in Thong-lor- I noted the staff observing and listening to our converstaion. While the staff was polite when I first got there they were virtually reverential to me after the gentleman left as I received the work they had done. I proceeded back to my abode to await the coming onslought from within- Hmm I thought ...that was all rather amusing and interesting.Further BKK observations... ::

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Never had a problem with being refered to as farang. I guess it is human behavior to use an easy identifier when refering to someone you don't know, i.e. the guy with the glasses, the girl with the red skirt, etc.

With us not being Thai, the easiest identifier is obviously 'farang'.

I do agree with you though that using 'farang' when you do know the person's name is very impolite. I have however never caught anybody doing this within earshot of me.

My wife's friends refer to me by name, as does her family (younger members refer to me as either 'lung' or 'phii').

Sanuk!

:applause: :applause:

Thank you for a thoughful and enlightening interlude. While I have observed similar thing, my non-existant Thai prevents the wondeful interaction you had.

Bloody brillant. :bow:

This reminds me of a similar tale. Years back, I was staying in Mexico, Southern Yucatan. My wife and her family were all educated, and very polite. I being an American was not :) . In terms of addressing other Americans, it was always Notre Americanos (North Americans, or Americans from the north). The only one using the word Gringo was me! They wondered why. Seemed funny to me, and I had no problem with it. In LOS I have no problem with being called Farang.

Really? All I get is 'What does that handsome guy want?' and all sorts of giggles :: ::

The only identifier that annoys me now is 'man' but I haven't heard that in a while. Don't forget there's also a flip-side: while we may not be treated as reverentially, we aren't expected to jump through the same hoops ourselves and get forgiven a lot of gaffes.

I've told this story before, but can't remember how long ago.

When I was living in Kata I rented a bungalow from an older couple. They also had a small store near the road. I'd occasionally wander in for some bottled water or a soda and the odd beer. Every time I'd come in the older lady would say "Aow arai, farang?" in sort of the tone you'd use to grudgingly find out what a telemarketer is selling when they call interrupting your dinner.

I'd always reply in my most polite Thai "Khun Yai, krup, kor kuart nam yen noi, krup."

After living there for about four months I walked into the shop and low and behold the old lady asked "Aow arai luek?" I just about did a double take. I almost wondered if she was talking to someone else, but no she meant me. One of my Thai milestones.

Really? I can understand why you would feel 'man' as an insult but it is a completely common , respected, colloquialism in Canada and the States amongst friends. Thai friends I know use it in the right context as well. I guess it all depends on your circle of friends...

Archived