What is the most extravagant food you've ever had?

Brink15

What is the most extravagant food you've ever had? Not necessarily in Thailand, but anywhere. Extravagant doesn't have to mean price, it could mean rarity or caloric level.

Could be Kobe beef, blowfish (fugu), an exotic use of truffles or Beluga caviar, etc.

BTW, this isn't a contest, just an exchange of interesting experiences and cuisines.

The most extravagant meal I've had, so far, was a dinner at restaurant in the ski resort area of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It started with a home made pate of imported foie gras and white truffles, then a salad of just picked field greens in a walnut / blackberry vinaigrette, then venison tenderloin medallions drizzled with black current sauce, and finally some amazing cheeses and fresh fruit accompanied by a ten year old eiswein.

I will never forget that meal even though it happened over ten years ago. The fact that my dinner companion was an amazing specimen of what can happen when French and American genes combine, just added to the atmosphere.

None of these dishes by themselves is anything too special. The quality of the ingredients was. All were best of class. The best foie gras France exports, white truffles air freighted from Piedmont, field greens grown onsite to their exacting standards.

I will have to look long and hard to find such a convergence of perfection in ingredients and culinary skill.

OK, now I'm off to my frozen egg rolls and yesterday's leftover Chinese. :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that would be 'shark fin soup' at some Chinese restaurant in BKK.

Extremely pricy, but quite tasty though.

It's a quite thick soup which contains shark fin meat, mushrooms, and lots of other 'unknown' stuff. :)

Not bad, but wouldn't order it again. Too expensive.

Several come to mind Brink.

A kaiseki meal I had in historical Kyoto. (Thought I better explain with a photo as it's regarded as the creme de le creme of Japanese cuisine.)

Had fugu (blowfish) many times but to me its nothing special. Marinated Kobe beef on the BBQ was the culinary highlight on a trip to Matsuyama (Western Japan) as was lobster sashimi and oo-toru (marbled tuna) sushi in Hokkaido.

I also have fond memories of a 11-course meal in East Berlin before the wall came down. Cost was a very steep $20!

In Thailand the Tom yum goong and Plad Lard Prik at the Royal Orchid Sheraton in BKK standout.

Guest lazyphil

Had some weird fish dish steamed in giant bamboo at the Rio Tambopata nature reserve in the Peruvian Amazon, through it all up in the night though, was the most horrible night of my life, really wanted my own bed that night :p :p

Hi Zaad,

unfortunately sharks are becoming an endangered species. Basically because they are being caught, their fins cut off and the living animal is being thrown in to the water again.

For all on this board, this is a serious call out to stop eating shark!!! [color:"red"] [/color]

I got my wife sofar that she doesn't cook nor eat it anymore.

Thanks, on behalf of all divers and nature lovers on this board.

Best regards,

Limbo

Archived