What is the most extravagant food you've ever had?

Brink15

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all congrats on the upcoming birth. :applause:

The Chinese feast sounded really wild. I alsways loved the food in Chinatown and it is one of the main things I miss living in Florida. I remember some off the wall places down back alleys with the most amazing food. Also some great Vietnamese restaurants there. Did you ever try Siam Square? It was the only Thai restaurant in Chinatown. Closed about 6 0r 7 years ago. At the time it was by far the best Thai food I'd had anywhere in the US.

I agree with you about the Bay State seafood. We have decent seafood here in Tampa, but it can't compare to the great stuff in Beantown. I used to work close to Legal Saefood in Brookline. Tried to make it there at least once a week.

That chowder must be something special. What variety of seafood did you use?

• 2 weeks later...

The most extravagant dinner I've ever attended was in Bordeaux, France. I was a student at that time and dated a French girl, whose father owned a Chateau (wine castle) in the St. Emillion area.

The dinner took place on new year's eve, started around 8 PM untill 4 or 5 AM the next morning.

Guests were owners of several Chateaus in the area, each bringing their own wine. Can't remember how many courses in total but must have exceeded 10. The wines got better as the evening got along and each new wine on the table received praises from all.

Never really understood why the better wines were served later, as after a glass of 10 you really can't tell the difference anymore.

Hi Oran,

had a similar experience in France on new year's eve.

Loads of food and wine. Mine was with a family oustide Paris.

It was a breaking point in my French speaking ability. Still was going to school and hated French, that changed after 2 weeks with this family, I had to speak it and learned a lot this way.

Am in Kota Kinabalu/Malaysia right now and visited a very nice Chinese placwe yesterday, a beer garden kind of place (no, just for eating and drinking!!).

The menu is very interesting there, you never know what's on it, but can very from snake curry to ant eater (just finished when we arrived yesterday).

We had wild mountain goat curry, crocodile in a ginger sauce, wild boar, fresh water turtle and venice. Not too exciting but very intersting nevertheless.

• 3 months later...

Archived