What is the most extravagant food you've ever had?

Brink15

I spent five years living and working in Sub-Sahara Africa. If you will permit me to substitute the word 'exotic' for 'extravagant' (and it clearly looks like some posters are - monkey balls, extravagant only to the monkey I guess!), then how about:

Hippopotamus (love the way Thais say this :) ) Stew

Boiled Warthog

Fried Baboon (the whole :cussing: thing on a spit)

Python Brochettes (a lovely French restaurant in Bangui)

Chimpanzee Parts (no, I didn't ask which parts, and, no, my middle name is not Ebola)

Lots of Game Meat - yes, if you have ever been in Africa you know there are many places that just kill a critter, cook him, hang him up on a hook, and slice chunks off him to serve until he is gone. Yum!

Moving on to N. Africa....Camel Hump. Actually quite tasty, and I wasn't thirsty for several years. :)

Oh those were the days best forgotten in the Dark Continent. ::

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to post a similar response but you beat me to it. Another fact not well known outside the dive industry is that the method of harvesting shark fins is exceptionally cruel. The fish is caught and the fin cutoff and the remainder is then thrown back into the sea to die a fairly miserable death. The price of the fin so greatly outweighs any use for the rest of the carcass.

Really something to boycott.

That kaiseki meal sounds outrageous, as in yum with a capital y. I wonder if that is the same thing I saw on Food TV here. There is a restaurant in Beverly Hills owned by a Japanese chef. He opens when he wants and you have to check daily to see if you can get in. You sit at what almost looks like a sushi bar but is bigger and lacks the glass case. He serves a number of courses and makes up the menu according to the spectacular ingredients he has found that day. All the items are his own creations and range from shabu shabu grilled on a rock to various soups and sushi and sashimi. The bill ranges from $500 to $2,500 per person depending on what he serves that day.

It's on my "when I win the lottery" wish list.

Fugu is still on my to do list, although I've heard the same response from other people. I guess it's just something that makes me curious. I'll probably have it some day and say "so what." But I still want to try it.

Wow, that is an impressive assortment sure to put you on the PETA hit list. But given my feeling that if God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat, I think it's great.

There used to be a restaurant in Tampa that had all kinds of Game on the menu. Unfortunately the pedestrian tastes of the locals here caused it to go out of business.

When ever I'm in a restaurant and they have game on the menu I'm in heaven. Although usually it's pretty mundane stuff like venison (although still one of my favorites).

Were these meals prepared in homes, restaurants, or in the wild? What did the items taste like? (I'm hopping for something more descriptive than chicken :grinyes:) The chimp and the baboon are the only two I'd probably pass on, and that's mostly due to relationship with disease.

Had Fugu twice in Fukuoka. Taste is neutral, nothing special, actually it's only the thrill of eating it. ::

Kobe beef, yes grilled several times, but the most excellent food for me is Shabu Shabu, offered at 'Zakuro' restaurants in Tokyo (I believe they've 5 of them). Excellent Kobe beef, thinly sliced and boiled in water with vegetables, Tofu, Mushrooms etc. Then dipped into a spicy sauce. The sauce is the trick. Shabu shabu you can find in many places all over Japan, but nowhere is the taste of the sauce so perfect as in the ZAKURO restaurants. But this comes with a price. Average price incl. 1 bottle of beer about JPY 12-14,000, i.e. 100-120 US$ p.P. But it's realllllly good. :p

living octopus and dog in korea

bird's nest, shark fin and some insects in china

crocodile, squirrel, maengda eggs etc.etc.etc. in thailand

on the other side

18 course dinner at a wedding in italy with about 6 pasta and 3 risotto dishes. the dinner started at 8pm and the main course manzo brasato was served at around 2am

several nouvell cuisine meals all over europe; i remember a ravioli dish, containing 4 pieces of ravioli (!) for 40usd and an armagnac from early 20 century close to 100usd a glass

Archived