What is the most extravagant food you've ever had?

Brink15

Says Brink15:

Were these meals prepared in homes, restaurants, or in the wild? What did the items taste like? (I'm hopping for something more descriptive than chicken
:grinyes:
) The chimp and the baboon are the only two I'd probably pass on, and that's mostly due to relationship with disease.

Incredibly most were on the menus in restaurants. There was one restaurant in Bangui that advertised they "served anything with legs (to eat) except tables." And, they did.

It is very hard to describe how this stuff tasted. One I forgot was pangolin. I guess you know what that is. Anyway, it was smothered in some sort of gravy and the taste was somewhat disguised. The warthog was pure gristle and it took several months to chew a mouthful before you could swallow it.

The python tasted like fish and was quite good.

I ate the primates before the ebola scare hit. It was in Gabon in both cases.

Yeah, I'm about ready to have some boring old khaw pot gai now. ::

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of kobe beef, one of the best deals in town is the Kobe Beef Steak they sell at The Carlton (foot of the Sala Daeng BTS stop on Silom Rd.) for 290 baht. Of course it isn't real Kobe Beef (I also had the real deal in Japan and it was very expensive), but it is very good beef.

As to eating dog, I think just about anyone who has traveled in Asia has eaten it. I have had it in Korea, Vietnam, China and the Philippines (hey anyone want to talk about balut?). The first time I had dogmeat it was on a pizza at a restaurant just outside the Main Gate at Osan AB, Korea. Woof! :)

As to eating dog, I think just about anyone who has traveled in Asia has eaten it. I have had it in Korea, Vietnam, China and the Philippines (hey anyone want to talk about balut?). The first time I had dogmeat it was on a pizza at a restaurant just outside the Main Gate at Osan AB, Korea. Woof!

Yes, have eaten dog meat several times in Seoul. Not too bad but nothing which counts as culinary. :: :)

I'm not a big fan of food that looks at you. :grinyes:

Actually it doesn't really bother me, roast suckling pig in Spain, whole fish anywhere, etc. I just pass on eating the eyes themselves. One of my buddies in Thailand would always pop the eyes out of the whole fish and eat them like it was the best thing he'd ever had. Made us all laugh.

Guest lazyphil

As well as the fish incident, on the same trip, in the Andes (trekking) I had Guina Pig (sp?), didn't make me ill, but the local firewater (forget the name of) and alltitude f**ked me up, an all round stomach churning place!

One I forgot was pangolin. I guess you know what that is.

Actually I didn't until I found a picture of one on this website: pangolin

Doesn't look like it would be at the top of my culinary "to do" list. :)

Also I'm one of the few who have lived in Asia but never tried dog. It was on my list but never made it to an area where it was on the menu. Two guys from Seattle who worked with me on Koh Phi Phi had traveled through Indonesia for about six months before hitting Thailand. They had eaten dog along their journey in a dish translated as "chili dog." Always made me wonder if anyone ever ordered the dish in error thinking they would be getting a sausage covered in chili con carne. I'd love to be there when the waiter explains what they really ate. :grinyes:

Also i am the type of guy who eats everything you can put on a table (exept for the spoons and plates), the thought of eating primates, somehow, makes me think.....feels almost like cannibalism...right Dr. Lector?????? :devil:

mupfel

Archived