Newbies Pay Too Much!!!

zanemay

Not that it is news, but newbies, please know, LOS is here waiting to rip you off. It is a very cheap place to live and travel, but special arrangements are made for the naive. Those holiday makers who would rather pay than protest.

A few weeks ago I met the nicest, most handsome, affable young man over a game of pool at Woodstock. He was so young, charming and well dressed that the waitresses surrounded and hounded him in a way that I had never seen. He was a lovable, modest sort who one would think everyone would wish well. He was from the Phillipines and Holland (and looked Japanese) and had only been in BKK one night.

He said he did not like it. It was cold and expensive. Not my BKK! What was the problem? The previous evening he had gone to Patpong, took out a bar girl (first mistake), did not ask her how much (second mistake.) In the morning he finally asked. She said he owed her 5,000 baht!! Being a newbie and a short timer who doesn't want any problems, he paid it!! I remember from the book Private Dancer the comment that bargirls did not so much like expats because they could not nail them for 5,000 baht like they did the FOB crowd. Wow! Speak about accurate!

I quote a recent newbie trip report on action in Pattaya "I asked her how much, long-time. 4000 Baht was the reply. I laughed – no way. How much you prepared to pay, she asked. Instinctively I said 2000 Baht. She agreed immediately." Well I guess so! I only barfined once in months in Pattaya. I paid 500 bar, the girl got 1,000. Recently I had a nice looking girl on the beach offer me short time 300 baht!

Then there is the propensity for newbies to hop a cab to Pattaya! 1,500 baht or so, when the bus from Ekkami bus station (right next to the Ekkami Skytrain Station, thus very easy to get to if you are traveling light - large suitcases would not be allowed on the Skytrain - in which case one takes a taxi) is 90 baht.

The newbie report also indicated that the newbie was too wise to pay 300 baht for a taxi from the airport - he had been put right by NP.com. If we put him right, how come he didn't take the airport bus for 100 baht? They go direct to Sukhumvit and probably Patpong.

Unfortunately Thais are merciless when it comes to separating you from your money. You would think perhaps the charming young man would have been asked a reasonable price by the bar girl because he was so appealing. Part of it may be that they are not international travelers and have no empathy for us. I had a big problem on a visa run to Cambodia last year and a bunch of taxi (song tao) guys were just waiting to plunder anyone in my situation. I thought about paying what they wanted, but I resisted and resisted. A journal excerpt: We arrived in Trat at about 11:00 and things took a turn for the worse. I was looking for a minibus to take me to the pier to catch the boat to Ko Kong. It was supposed to cost 100 baht. I asked a group of song tao drivers where the minibus was. They said this was it and quoted, "100 baht 6 people, 600 baht 1 person." Oh, no, I did not want to pay this much! I walked away and was directed up the street this way and that. No luck. I still did not find a better deal on a minibus, but something was definitely wrong.

Then everything changed! I am a lucky traveler and always have been. I spotted a farang eating nearby. I asked him about the minibus - I was in the vicinity. The song taos were at a local stop and the drivers specialized in bilking naive tourists by saying that they were minibuses. They were only about a hundred feet from the real minibuses, which are known as "minivans" in America. The drivers could have easily directed me. Anyway, fifteen minutes after locating the minibus and paying one hundred baht, we were off.

A big problem with all the newbie spending is that it drives up the prices. Gives Thais the impression that we love to throw money to the wind and makes it hell on the next new arrival and difficult on the veteran. I sure wish the newbies and big spenders would guard their cash a little better.

P.S. If there is one thread that constantly recurs in trip reports, it goes something like this: "I saw a real stunner... I asked her how much... I paid her barfine and we went to the hotel... After a disappointing session I paid her the 2,500 as agreed... Oh well, you can't win them all." Over and over goes the association of stunner, expensive and disappointment.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zane that's a fair post with fair comments, but I'd like to add my bit regarding the transportation.

When people come here on holiday with plenty of money in their pocket - why not treat yourself to a bit of luxury?

The limousine to Pattaya is 1500 baht - I think that's very reasonable.

The bus costs 90 baht. But you also have to prepare for the following.

1) I have to get a taxi. I have to put the suitcase in the taxi. It's hot.

2) At Ekkami, I have to buy a ticket and keep an eye on my suitcase.

3) I have to find the bus bay and lug my suitcase over to it. It's getting hotter.

4) I have to put my suitcase in the luggage hold and then spend the next 10 minutes before departure worrying about whether someone is going to steal it.

5) Arrival in Pattaya avec suitcase and now standing at the bus station. It's even hotter than Bangkok! You can't take a motorcycle. You can't take a songthaew. You have a big suitcase. It's the taxi mafia or nothing!

Sometimes Zane, you pay extra for a certain level of comfort and convenience.

I was in Madrid last year and had spent hours poring over the lonely planet guide finding out how to get from the airport to the bus station.

When I did arrive with my medium sized suitcase (and my girlfriend) I thought bollocks and jumped in a taxi.

Sometimes saving money is just penny-pinching. If you have it - spend it!

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: Bangkok Phil ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bangkok Phil:

Sometimes Zane, you pay extra for a certain level of comfort and convenience.

Sometimes saving money is just penny-pinching. If you have it - spend it!

Excellent post, BP

5,000 baht for lt is a waste of money. Taxis and limos usually are not. The bus is not the best way to go unless you travel REALLY light.

On our last trip (wife and I) we thought we'd save a few bucks. Got rount-trip bus tickets from the hotel to Pattaya. Sat in bus. Stopped several times to pick up other hotel passengers. Got dumped at the out-of-town terminal. Constantly worried about luggage. Sat some more. Boarded bus to Pattaya. Got off. Two large suitcases. Forced to take taxi to hotel. On return, same-same. Taxi to bus station. Wait in heat. Bus to hotel, but bus not go to our hotel, go to one close. Haul suitcases. Take taxi to correct hotel. Holy sh*t! Next time, taxi or limo. After bus fare for two and three taxi fares, a direct taxi couldn't have been much more and would certainly have been faster.

BTW, isnt' the trip between Madrid's airport and the bus station a joke? A couple of years ago, frugal wife and I again decided to save money (you think we'd learn after a while). Haul suitcases to subway. Take subway to bus station (what fun!). Subway exit is quarter-mile or so from bus station (surprise!). Haul two BIG suitcases to bus station (thank God for wheels). Drag suitcases around bus station looking for bus. Wait. Bus to airport. Drag suitcases off bus and around airport. Cripes. No more of this BS for me. Taxis are the ONLY was if you have luggage. My vacation time is more valuable, as it turns out, than saving a few dollars on cab fare.

PhordPhan

Former pack mule, bon vivant and

all-around nice guy.

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

As a newbie who just returned from Bangkok and Pattaya, I think it's also important to point out a couple of things:

1) not everybody has access to (or would think to access) the information contained on this board, the previous Delphi board, Nanapong.com, and other web sites.

2) as with travelling in general, when dealing with pricing and costs, one usually makes relative choices, based on what they're used to back home (and again, not knowing any better). 5000 baht is what, about $110 US....here at home, that would be a steal for a prostitute to spend the whole evening with you. 1500 baht ($33) for a 2-hour door-to-door limo ride--I hate to think what that would go for here!

I happened to take the air-con bus to and from Pattaya, and never paid more than 1500 (inc. tip) for LT, but I had the benefit of this board and others to steer me in the right direction. Still, I did have to pinch myself when I'd wake up after a night of debauchery that cost all of 2000 baht (for woman, barfine, drinks, tip, etc) and realize that back home I'd happily plunk down $100 (4500 baht) for a 10-minute blow-job in a cum-stained booth at the back of a strip club in a bad neighborhood, and from a non-Asian provider at that!

quote:

Originally posted by Zane May:

Not that it is news, but newbies, please know, LOS is here waiting to rip you off. It is a very cheap place to live and travel, but special arrangements are made for the naive. Those holiday makers who would rather pay than protest.

A few weeks ago I met the nicest, most handsome, affable young man over a game of pool at Woodstock. He was so young, charming and well dressed that the waitresses surrounded and hounded him in a way that I had never seen. He was a lovable, modest sort who one would think everyone would wish well. He was from the Phillipines and Holland (and looked Japanese) and had only been in BKK one night.

He said he did not like it. It was cold and expensive. Not my BKK! What was the problem? The previous evening he had gone to Patpong, took out a bar girl (first mistake), did not ask her how much (second mistake.) In the morning he finally asked. She said he owed her 5,000 baht!! Being a newbie and a short timer who doesn't want any problems, he paid it!! I remember from the book Private Dancer the comment that bargirls did not so much like expats because they could not nail them for 5,000 baht like they did the FOB crowd. Wow! Speak about accurate!

I quote a recent newbie trip report on action in Pattaya "I asked her how much, long-time. 4000 Baht was the reply. I laughed ? no way. How much you prepared to pay, she asked. Instinctively I said 2000 Baht. She agreed immediately." Well I guess so! I only barfined once in months in Pattaya. I paid 500 bar, the girl got 1,000. Recently I had a nice looking girl on the beach offer me short time 300 baht!

Then there is the propensity for newbies to hop a cab to Pattaya! 1,500 baht or so, when the bus from Ekkami bus station (right next to the Ekkami Skytrain Station, thus very easy to get to if you are traveling light - large suitcases would not be allowed on the Skytrain - in which case one takes a taxi) is 90 baht.

The newbie report also indicated that the newbie was too wise to pay 300 baht for a taxi from the airport - he had been put right by NP.com. If we put him right, how come he didn't take the airport bus for 100 baht? They go direct to Sukhumvit and probably Patpong.

Unfortunately Thais are merciless when it comes to separating you from your money. You would think perhaps the charming young man would have been asked a reasonable price by the bar girl because he was so appealing. Part of it may be that they are not international travelers and have no empathy for us. I had a big problem on a visa run to Cambodia last year and a bunch of taxi (song tao) guys were just waiting to plunder anyone in my situation. I thought about paying what they wanted, but I resisted and resisted. A journal excerpt: We arrived in Trat at about 11:00 and things took a turn for the worse. I was looking for a minibus to take me to the pier to catch the boat to Ko Kong. It was supposed to cost 100 baht. I asked a group of song tao drivers where the minibus was. They said this was it and quoted, "100 baht 6 people, 600 baht 1 person." Oh, no, I did not want to pay this much! I walked away and was directed up the street this way and that. No luck. I still did not find a better deal on a minibus, but something was definitely wrong.

Then everything changed! I am a lucky traveler and always have been. I spotted a farang eating nearby. I asked him about the minibus - I was in the vicinity. The song taos were at a local stop and the drivers specialized in bilking naive tourists by saying that they were minibuses. They were only about a hundred feet from the real minibuses, which are known as "minivans" in America. The drivers could have easily directed me. Anyway, fifteen minutes after locating the minibus and paying one hundred baht, we were off.

A big problem with all the newbie spending is that it drives up the prices. Gives Thais the impression that we love to throw money to the wind and makes it hell on the next new arrival and difficult on the veteran. I sure wish the newbies and big spenders would guard their cash a little better.

P.S. If there is one thread that constantly recurs in trip reports, it goes something like this: "I saw a real stunner... I asked her how much... I paid her barfine and we went to the hotel... After a disappointing session I paid her the 2,500 as agreed... Oh well, you can't win them all." Over and over goes the association of stunner, expensive and disappointment.

quote:

Being the author of the report that you mentioned, I must bow to your superior knowledge and apologise most profusely for my newbie stupidity. But lets clarify a few things. Firstly, the girl who asked for 4000 B LT was very pretty. I said 2000B "instintively" because it was what I expected to pay for a beautiful girl. If I had stopped to think, I would have started off with a lower figure. As for cheap girls on the beach - I was offered them too. But I would think there is a greater chance of picking up a disease from them. But maybe thats just my newbie stupidity. In an other gogo, a waitress told me she would come with me for nothing if I paid her barfine. But I declined. Being new and stupid, I thought it was all about being attracted to the girl rather than about how cheap she was.

As for getting a taxi rather than a bus - I will make no apologies for that, no more than I do for choosing to drive an expensive car rather than a cheap one. We all appreciate advice given in these boards. But to scold somebody for choosing a taxi instead of a bus? No doubt, if I was as smart as you, I would die a much richer man.

quote:

Originally posted by me

When people come here on holiday with plenty of money in their pocket - why not treat yourself to a bit of luxury?

Whosyourdaddy

I work here. I'm not on holiday. But if I were, then I'd probably have the limo instead of taking the bus.

I didn't have a suitcase to wrestle with 2 weeks ago either.

Does that answer your question?

quote:

Originally posted by carson1289:

Being the author of the report that you mentioned, I must bow to your superior knowledge and apologise most profusely for my newbie stupidity. But lets clarify a few things. Firstly, the girl who asked for 4000 B LT was very pretty. I said 2000B "instintively" because it was what I expected to pay for a beautiful girl. If I had stopped to think, I would have started off with a lower figure. As for cheap girls on the beach - I was offered them too. But I would think there is a greater chance of picking up a disease from them. But maybe thats just my newbie stupidity. In an other gogo, a waitress told me she would come with me for nothing if I paid her barfine. But I declined. Being new and stupid, I thought it was all about being attracted to the girl rather than about how cheap she was.

As for getting a taxi rather than a bus - I will make no apologies for that, no more than I do for choosing to drive an expensive car rather than a cheap one. We all appreciate advice given in these boards. But to scold somebody for choosing a taxi instead of a bus? No doubt, if I was as smart as you, I would die a much richer man.

Hello Carson and others,

I apologize for the aspects of my post that offended. I am defensive about costs because I don't have as much to spend as many others do. I know there are many, many more in my situation in LOS.

I suppose "if you have it, spend it" is a reasonable approach, however when I "had it" I never did. It's just not my style. As one happy and fairly rich expat told me on my first trip, "Always stay in the cheapest place you can find. It's more fun." I am sure not everyone will agree with that generalization and it is obviously not always true. However, two of the most interesting places I stayed at were 100 baht a night. Great places - not in BKK or Pataya of course.

When I was in my mid thirties I was married to a good woman, lived in a nice house that looked like a museum inside and was a charter member of a fine wine tasting group. As time passed, I realized I was bored as hell and left it without a backward glance. It was the best thing I ever did. I now live a less comfortable, more enjoyable life. (The ex and I are still friends and she has remarried.)

As you can also see from the post that mentioned the minibus from BKK to Pattaya that picks you up from your hotel. It is relatively expensive and takes a long time because it stops for several pick ups in BKK. I think the regular bus is much better than that. Limo? Don't know. Not my style. The bus has worked well for me and I never encountered difficulties that BKK Phil mentions. I have always had to take a taxi to the Ekkami station because of luggage. I buy my ticket, stick my luggage in the bus belly, arrive at BKK, take a song tao for 60-80 baht to my condo. Roughly 3 hours door to door and around 250 baht. I do it every two weeks or so.

I have been very, very happy with the women that I have been with. Very much attracted to them. They are not stunners, nor homely. Stunners, like limos, are not my style. Why am I happy? My gfs are a little "hungry." They are so sweet and perform so well it is unbelievable. Their stamina is incredible. They take care of me and stick with me. They like me. How do I know? I don't pay them much. When you drown a girl in baht you will never know if she likes you or not.

Also, when we are here for awhile we think in terms of baht, not in terms of what the USD would get us in the USA. The prices just don't compare.

Just for me--I want to fight for and hold onto my baht. It is a challenge and it is rewarding. You can't make any woman like you with money. You can find out a lot about yourself, them and the world if you try to pay as little as possible. Not everyone's style of course, but maybe worth considering when one has time to struggle a bit.

Regards,

Zane cool.gif" border="0

Archived