"Separation" documents for Oz

To get my gf to Oz, I know I have to do several things but Oz Embassy in BKK asked me to bring "Separation" papers. Papers proving that I have been separated to my ex-wife.

I asked at the Family Court - no such application, no documents. All we have to do is to remember when we separated and be able to prove it should somebody challenge us. To prove - bring in driving licenses, bills, friends and colleagues to confirm...

Asked also at the Depertment of Immigration. They know of no such documents and are advising me to tell them in BKK what I said here and tell them to direct any questions to their (!) supervisor. I think local staff would rather die than do that.

My ex-wife will be cooperative and provide what she can, but what if we were in shits?

Anyone had "separation" papers problem?

Ok, I went through the do it yourself divorce in Oz several years ago, all up cost me about $500, bargain. Anyway if I was in your shoes, but I wouldn't because when you get out of Jail you want to stay free for some time. But I would take all the proof you have of living seperately, seperate premises leases or ownership, bills with your names on it for each premise( ex and yours etc), driving licence with new and seperate addresses, bank statements as same, Stat Decs from friends verifying to the date of separation and living apart, the divorce application if it has been lodged yet. And take all this to your solicitor and get him to do a statement, affidavit?? or whatever he thinks fit to cover it legally and witnessed etc. I have found that if you provide more than what is required, its kind of like baffle em with bullshit, also get plenty of official stamps on every document. Thais love stamps and if it looks official it must be correct, so stat decs witnessed by JP's or coppers etc, stamps from your solicitor etc etc, certified copies are always good as they have a big stamp for that one.

Also as you have to lodge it in Thailand, look into getting it translated in to thai in Oz, you will need to go to a Thai embassy and ask for a list of their approved translators and then they will translate it and stamp and I think from memory the embassy then stamps it also as authentic, if they don't do that automatically you could ask for them to do it.

As for translations here, you may also need to get the main document stating that all this is correct, so I would say the letter from your solicitor, and get that certified as a true copy here in Bkk at the Oz embassy. That stamp from the Oz embassy is what a lot of Thai departments like to see rather that from a JP or such in Oz itself. It will cost you 760baht per document at the embassy for certification so get all the minor stuff done and official looking while you are in Oz, but the main one done here as well as in Oz.

For comparison, I recently got a birth cerificate translated and certifeid by the translater as true and correct and they wear the responsibilty if it is incorrect in any way, for 300baht.

Hope this helps a little ::

It should not take you long to get it all together, just make a lsit and get cracking. I did not have to do what I have suggested to you, as I was already divorced when I wanted to get the gf a visa. But if they are asking you for proof of seperation, then I suggest you do at least some of the above and get it started. Otherwise wait for the divorce papers to come through. As I said it is better to do more than less and then be asked to go away and provide more as it will then take twice as long.

When I submitted the final visa application for permanent residency, the document folder was at least an inch thick. There comment was that I had supplied more than enough to satisfy their requirements and it all went through smoothly, if I had just put in the minimum, it may have been rejected or asked for more info, this would have delayed things longer and longer. As they say 'up to you'

Archived