Cultural no-nos!

Took a J-girl to a Korean BBQ restaurant the other night and when I held up the meat with the tongs and asked her to cut it with her chopsticks she told me to put it on her plate as the only time Japanese will share anything with chopsticks is at a funeral. (I actually knew this but didn't think it extended to tongs). Japan has so many of these cultural no-nos including the direction one's head points when you sleep, lucky days for marriage ceremonies, etc.

What about in Thailand? It's well-known that you should never hit a Thai on the head but what are some of the other cultural no-nos there? Any interesting experiences?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

* Using your feet to point at things, or to do things (switch on the fan for instance)

* Stepping on the threshold when entering a house (supposedly there is a ghost living in there and stepping on it would insult it). Don't think this is a biggy anymore though.

* Waiing your wife. Not really certain why, but this is considered rude (insulting?)

* Dressing in black for a wedding.

And I would not be surprised if there is many, many more :)

Sanuk!

Using your feet to point at things

I understand Thai's see the feet as the lowest part and consider it the dirtiest part of the body. So I am puzzled that Thai's seated so often cross one leg, pointing the sole of the shoe out at someone else.

Thanks JP1, life's a blur!

As a regular China visitor you may be interested to know that Chinese apparently will never share a nashi pear as the pronunciation is the same as to break up.

Thanks Samak, I know of these standard ones but was more interested in any unusual no-nos or suspicions and any member's interesting experiences with these customs.

The hierarchy of the body extends to laundry. Socks and undergarments are supposed to be hung low or not together with shirts etc.

One that the ex used to go on about was sleeping while the sun went down.

By the way it is black, white or combination of, for funerals

Archived