Cultural no-nos!

* Stepping on the threshold when entering a house (supposedly there is a ghost living in there and stepping on it would insult it). Don't think this is a biggy anymore though.

> yeah this was a biggy when there was a threshold, still most temples still have proper step-over thresholds

* Waiing your wife

> waiing first is reserved for people of higher status and although it doesn't feel like it sometimes she still is lower status. It's not rude or insulting but it reflects badly on her because well she should have waiied you first (according to custom) Same goes with younger people or subordinates. The best thing is to wait for someone to waii you if they are obviously lower status, if they don't (and Thais often don't think it's required for falang) then a normal greeting is fine.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me see....

Don't dress in purple or violet to a wedding party/ceremony because we believe these colours are for widows. This belief is fading now.

Don't sleep with your head point to the West. It's for the dead !

When you hear some strange noises at night especially when you are staying away outside your home (in a forest, hotel, etc), don't say anything to anybody eg. Did you hear that sound ? This is becasue the sound might come from a spirit and it might get you. I did that once when sleeping over night in a house in a forest. Coundn't help it ! And nothing happened to me. :)

We have Thai astrology and every year they will be printed out for us to know which day is good and bad. This year Friday is not a good day and Wed. is good for venturing new things.

That's all I can think of right now.

Says samak:

others are:

- do not make jokes about religion, politics and never about the royal family

- take off your shoes when entering a temple or private house/apartment

- don't touch a thai's head or a monk

I'd say the religion, royal family, head and feet things are the only ones they really care about. Never heard of politics being a taboo.

Another thing that's supposed to be a no-no is to pass things with one's left hand but I don't think many Thais care about that anymore. They're more circumspect about passing rather than throwing items to each other than westerners are though.

Using your feet to point at things, or to do things (switch on the fan for instance)

That's interesting.

My brother-in-law alllllways uses his feet to turn on the fan. I guess he's too lazy bend over with that big belly of his. ::

I think that'll be the next subject over dinner when visiting mother-in-law in BKK. ;)

Sorry I?ve made a mistake. I have to correct it.

Just asked my mom about the ?head direction? when sleeping. She said we didn?t sleep with our head pointed to the West and South. For the West, the reason is that the word in Thai is µÃÇѹµ¡ . The word µ¡ or Tok is not a good word as it means ?fall? or fail? as many of you know. Thus, indicates a bad influence on you. As for the South, the Thai word is ãµé which also means ?under?. It also indicates that you might be under someone all the time and can not be yourself or be your own boss. Something along these lines.

Archived