Cultural no-nos!

Don`t point foe finger at anyone one. Originates from when Burmese bandits used to raid Thai villages. They would line up the villagers and point to who was to be killed to enforce authority.

Never offer to pay part of the bill if invited to a restaurant by a Thai -such is an insult -Inviter always pays the full bill.

Never leave a 1 baht tip -huge insult- may have something to do with funerary rights during which a coin is placed in the deceased`s mouth to pay the ferryman taking the soul to hell.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says Goodthaigirl:

When you hear some strange noises at night especially when you are staying away outside your home (in a forest, hotel, etc), don't say anything to anybody eg. Did you hear that sound ? This is becasue the sound might come from a spirit and it might get you...

Damn, I wish my ex-missus had been Thai and known about that one. She used to go ballistic every time I farted loudly in bed. :(

jack :up:

Hi Roppongi,

One should not place one`s skinny butt on the pillows designed for resting the head on while sleeping.

I learnt that the hard way ::

But after sitting on the wooden floor for weeks on end it sure felt good although it turned out a major cultural faux pas.

When you shower outside at night and there is noone to watch you and it is pitch-dark anyway you still should not remove your pakhamaa/sarong.

And speaking about showering when you pour water from the big clay jar over yourself don`t use the big metal bowl for this although it looks like it will do the job just nicely. The big metal bowl is actually mother-in-law`s chamber pot. Thank God I didn`t use it while brushing my teeth as well. :o

Obviously you shouldn`t step over someone lying down sleeping or whatever, but I`ll add to this:

If a group of people is sitting on the floor dining or whatever and you for some reason are passing through them it would be polite to bend down slightly thus lowering your head not to their level obviously but slightly to acknowledge they are there.

My wife used to refer to feet as Meu Farang. Farang hands.

And Beer would be Narm Duem Farang. Farang Drinking water. Wonder how she got that impression. ::

Cheers

Hua nguu

Says Hua Nguu:

If a group of people is sitting on the floor dining or whatever and you for some reason are passing through them it would be polite to bend down slightly thus lowering your head not to their level obviously but slightly to acknowledge they are there.

I know a Thai female student studying in the US. Every time she walked pass her teachers even they were sitting at their desk, she bent down slightly. One of her classmates one day asked her if she had a bad back. LOL ::

Archived