TRINK -NANA PLAZA POLICE PEE-ATHON LAST FRIDAY???

jitagawn

I find this practice troubling based on the simple fact that false-postive results occur fequently in some of the best hospitals in the world.

Considering that it happens while highly trained professionals are performing the tests, with strict quality controls and access to the finest equipment, one can assume that the number of errors will increase when the tests are performed in busy nightclubs by non-medical personnel.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my research, I think that the initial tests done at the scene are basic, simply screening for 5 types of agents. False positives can be produced on these tests by certain medicines, etc. Tests done by hospitals aren't the same - they can tell exactly what you've taken, whether it's ephedrine from a cough medicine or street methamphetamines.

If a farang is taking a prescription pain killer legally (Vicodin or Oxycontin) for back pain, and has the prescription bottle with him:

1. Will the test turn-up positive?

2. If positive, will the farang be arrested even though proof that it's a prescribed drug is provided?

Says jitagawn:

Bibblies states:

"From my research, I think that the initial tests done at the scene are basic, simply screening for 5 types of agents. "

Inquiring minds would like to know...what might those FIVE agents be? :dunno:Thanks.

From memory, types of: amphetamine, cannabis, heroin, cocaine, PCP.

Cannabis can be detected for quite some time, especially if you're a habitual user. Amphetamines only up to 3-5 days. Heroin falls below detectable levels within hours. Look for a fairly recent (last month?) thread about being tested in Hollywood where I gave a better link.

Says teacherwannabe:

If a farang is taking a prescription pain killer legally (Vicodin or Oxycontin) for back pain, and has the prescription bottle with him:

1. Will the test turn-up positive?

2. If positive, will the farang be arrested even though proof that it's a prescribed drug is provided?

With respect to 1: Don't know about in Thailand, but in the U.S. they don't do quick on the scene analysis of urine samples. Such samples are sent to a crime lab for later analysis, at which time a fairly crude qualitiative (not quantitative) test is usually employed. The qualitative test will merely indicate positive or negative for various broad classes of controlled substances such as opiates, amphetamine, cocaine, etc. If you had recently taken Vicodin or Codeine, for example, before providing the urine sample, your test results on the qualitative test would be positive for opiates.

With respect to 2: Again, in the U.S., providing proof that you had a prescription for a medication that would cause the false positive result that was obtained would be a valid defense (i.e., would establish reasonable doubt as to guilt) unless the prosecution subsequently decided to have a more refined analysis performed on the sample which indicated the presence of specific illegal substances that would not be affected by the prescription medication.

Archived