TRINK -NANA PLAZA POLICE PEE-ATHON LAST FRIDAY???

jitagawn

Curious as to why you find this type of thing "troubling?"

Unless they happen to be using themselves, I dont see why people would have a problem getting tested. It may put a damper to your evening and may not be the type of thing that happens back home, but thats the way it works in Thailand. If random piss testing means the likelyhood of me being surrounded by strung out Thais and farangs in the clubs decreases, I'm all for it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says liquidflux:

Curious as to why you find this type of thing "troubling?"

Unless they happen to be using themselves, I dont see why people would have a problem getting tested. It may put a damper to your evening and may not be the type of thing that happens back home, but thats the way it works in Thailand. If random piss testing means the likelyhood of me being surrounded by strung out Thais and farangs in the clubs decreases, I'm all for it.

1) There's no guarantee that, even if you don't take drugs, your test won't fail.

2) I can think of better ways to spend my evening than lining up for 2 hours to piss in front of several people and then having to go home because the raid started at midnight

3) They are testing to see if someone has used drugs recently- although that does not necessarily mean that a crime was committed on Thai soil, they will treat the person as a criminal anyway

4) Not all drugs are as destructive as yaa-baa, or even alcohol

Cheers!

1) The primary responsibility of the Thai government is to the health and safety of its citizens rather than the convenience of its guests.

2) Random drug testing in nightlife venues is an ongoing and well-publicized practice.

3) Foreigners are free to voice their opinions on the subject by writing to newspapers or to the Ministries involved, or to persue Thai citizenship to participate more fully in the political process.

4) Bangkok International Airport is open 24 hours a day.

"Curious as to why you find this type of thing "troubling?""

Well, others have already provided some valid answers to your question. To elaborate a bit further, what many people don't realize is: 1) How inept cops (any cops, not necessarily Thai cops) frequently can be, so in this particular situation that might occasionally result in one girl's sample being wrongly recorded as being another girl's sample, and if the sample was dirty, the wrong (i.e., innocent) person would be in big trouble; or, 2) These tests frequently report false positive results. That is the test results will indicate the person took some prohibited drug when, in fact, they did not. For example, there are various medications that people may legitimately have taken that will result in false positive results. Or the crime lab analyzing procedures could be flawed or erroneous in a particular case. Nothing is perfect 100% of the time. Such errors occur not infrequently. So this kind of mass testing without any probable cause whatsoever is likely to result in some innocent people getting in a lot of trouble from time to time. This is what I find troubling, (in addition to the disregard of individual privacy rights, which I guess just plain don't exist in LOS).

Says nukeboy180:

1) The primary responsibility of the Thai government is to the health and safety of its citizens rather than the convenience of its guests.

We can all see how well the Thai government is protecting its people through piss-testing of the end-user in nightclubs. The checks in Q-Bar, for example, have certainly made the lives of the ordinary Thai citizen that much safer and more healthy. And no one now has switched to alternative drugs that don't appear on the tests.

Says nukeboy180:

2) Random drug testing in nightlife venues is an ongoing and well-publicized practice.

Yes, that means it's warranted and that everyone should be happy to participate in the process. Next time you have a free evening, give me a call and we'll seek out some piss-testing as it's a wonderful way to spend free time.

Says nukeboy180:

3) Foreigners are free to voice their opinions on the subject by writing to newspapers or to the Ministries involved, or to persue Thai citizenship to participate more fully in the political process.

Very nice to hear your concern for the foreigner. When you have some free time, please also suggest some options for Thai people dissatisfied with the situation. Perhaps they should write a letter to Thaksin, threatening to pull their vote in the next election.

Says nukeboy180:

4) Bangkok International Airport is open 24 hours a day.

Yes, go away foreigners who participate in illegal activities such as drug-taking and fornication with prostitutes.

Cheers!

>>>The primary responsibility of the Thai government is to the health and safety of its citizens rather than the convenience of its guests. <<<

oh, is that so.

why then has that ongoing drugwar cost already around 2000 people their lives in the last 7 weeks or so?

Archived