phud Thai

Over the years I have always tried to speak Thai,its not that good ,but well you have to practise.

Ive noticed that alot of bg,s dont like it when you speak Thai to them as they get the impression that your an an Expat living in Thailand and are much more used to their scams .

I was told by a BG that she didnt go with guys that spoke Thai well, as she feared she would only get the minimum pay off as opposed to the expected holiday payout .Now thats a bit cheeky!!

Is this a Pattaya/Phuket thing or does that happen in BKK as well?

quote:

Originally posted by SOONGMAK:

Yep,

Happens in BKK as well. So speaking thai is a good way to keep the gold diggers at arms length.

Cheers!

I totally agree. I speak good thai and meet nice women all the time. The gold-diggers loose interest in me within 2 minutes.

It's always nice to pretend to not be able to speak thai and enjoy the girl's excessive flirting with you. Then out of the blue fire a few sentences at her in Thai and watch the expression of dok jai on their faces. More often than not they will quickly move on to more prosperous grounds.

quote:

Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

How do the girls react if your Thai is not very good?

I think they like it when you try to speak Thai to them and obviously aren't fluent. My Thai is very basic (that's being kind) and the girls always compliment me and tell me how well I speak (of course, I know better). If you speak fluent or semi-fluent Thai, some girls like it and some don't. The ones that don't are the ones that you don't want anyway, they are looking for the un-suspecting tourist they can pull their games on and milk him for plenty of Baht.

Ranger

Totally in agreeance with Ranger on that.

If your thai is good some girls are actually pleasantly surprised that they can communicate on some higher level with you. Others though are just trying to play 'the game' and would rather you remained ignorant to the rules. And as Ranger stated, these are the girls you don't really want to know so it works in your favour.

Dan

=============================

Archived