Am I allowed to ask for Cambodia updates?

NokTang

While I do go to Cambodia for biz and not for Sanook I did read an article in the post yesterday that K-11 had been closed due to pressure from the US Embassy .This was motivated by some other AGENCY FROM AMERICA INVESTIGATING PROSTITUTION. From my point of view closing that sesspool is a good thing- I drove through it once years ago with a driver and found it unpleasant,

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read the same reports. thanks.

As for the "cesspool" remark, the unique atmosphere of it makes for some soul searching. There was a person who could realy write, a professional story teller who posted for a short period on a now closed board. Wish I had saved it. He/she brought the reader to understand that it is such a different and special place, a culture in its own and of its own, that a visitor would if nothing else, know he/she had been there and there was nothing like it anywhere else on earth.

To some, this adventure can be enjoyed and the uniqueness of it taken in in proper context, that of knowing you are as they say "in the heart of darkness" and either loving it or wanting to get the hell out and never come near it again.

ps: driving thru it in a taxi certainly does not qualify as experienceing it, but to each his own.

cheers.

Nok

• 2 weeks later...

Testing one two three...at the time of this post, 390clicks/views....

My information, both public and private, is very negative about five to one. Some even warn travel is risky if you look like a farang...

I'm going to buy a disguse and some skin lotion(brown kind), dye my hair black, this afternoon.

Any updates apprecaited.

Happy Songkran

Nok the Kook

>>>Gentlemen, these last two posts are not in the spirit of the board (Sanuk)<<<

***************** as well. excuse if i am a bit pedantic here...

SARS free Cambodia? humm.....happy days are here again. Finally some reason to go back without fears.

cheers

Nok the Kook

SARS Hammering Tourism in Asia

Sun Apr 13, 7:14 AM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!

By HELEN LUK, Associated Press Writer

As the virus killed five more victims in Hong Kong, airport officials said their business is "under threat" following a plunge in traffic. Even in SARS-free Cambodia, tourism was taking a big hit as travelers shun the region.

In the Cambodian tourism town of Siem Reap, home to the Angkor temples, tourism has tumbled and hopes of attracting 1 million visitors this year are fading. Siem Reap saw arrivals reach 800,000 last year.

"We have closed some rooms and switched off air conditioners to save energy," said manager Marc Begassat of the luxury Sofitel Royal Angkor Hotel, which is only 10 percent to 15 percent occupied. "For this moment there is nothing much you can do."

very amusing... :sleeping:

coss, easy to show some wit with your moderators powers. what about it, you think you can discuss that issue like an adult via PM?

May I offer you a little analogy?

Imagine a wonderful library comprising both the wisdom of many generations and the thirst for knowledge. In this library there are many rooms and in one room are the books on a particular topic.

This is a controversial topic and of some interest to a number of library patrons, including a few who hold wildly diverging viewpoints on the topic. So strongly opposed are they that when persons from the opposing camps meet in the room they draw weapons and begin firing at each other.

The library's response is to lock the room and burn it to the ground any time a firefight breaks out, disadvantaging the great majority who could use the room responsibly.

So the answer to the question in the title is, apparently, "don't bother".

Fly and nukeboy.

There are rules, I am the one who has to apply them.

Fly, taking shots at me won't change the rules, as I've said before, my views don't enter into it.

Nukeboy, your analogy fits except for one thing, we as moderators put out the fires started by the protagonists, we've learnt to put them out early so as not to do too much damage to the board.

You'll both note that the two current threads on Cambodia contain information that is related to Sanuk, and that posts that deal with topics that are not wanted here have been deleted or edited where they have gone too far.

>>>Nukeboy, your analogy fits except for one thing, we as moderators put out the fires started by the protagonists, we've learnt to put them out early so as not to do too much damage to the board.

You'll both note that the two current threads on Cambodia contain information that is related to Sanuk, and that posts that deal with topics that are not wanted here have been deleted or edited where they have gone too far. <<<

what you call sanuk in cambodia is to many others the abuse of a horrific situation. and allowing those discussions does more damage to the board and its members than you can imagine.

i still wish you would answer on the PM i have sent you, a PM which was not out of line, just asking for some clarification on points you don't want to have raised on the board which i respect by having sent you them as a PM.

so, please...

Archived