steak and salad

camerashy

Don't get me wrong, I love Thai food (among other things Thai) and am counting the days (now into the teens) until I will again jump in the taxi from Don Muang to head into the Sukhumvit area. But occasionally I long for a big piece of steak, perhaps some good chips (french fries to our American friends) and salad. Whereabouts in the sanuk area is the best restaurant to get this simple fare, at a reasonable price?

My gf likes this as well, but getting her to eat properly with a knife and fork is frustrating to say the least. It's the "eat with your right hand" mentality that causes the most difficulties. But why worry, her table habits are not why I keep coming back to see her. ::

new york steakhouse in jw marriott hotel

el gaucho steakhouse (asoke towers) on asoke road

park avenue steakhouse opposite central chidlom

neil's tavern, 2 branches on asoke (2oo metres north of SC) and soi ruamrudi

those are all upmarket; for a bit cheaper alternative:

cairns stonegrill, sanukhumvit soi 8

outback steakhouse, siam discovery

and the thai alternatives are (with steaks made from local meat:

chokechai steakhouse, prasanmitr plaza, sanukhumvit soi 23

steak laos new petburi corner to sanukhumvit soi 39 opposite tony's

Why don't you try 'Sizzlers' ? You'll find them in a number of malls all over Bangkok. They've a variety of imported American beef (sometimes Australian) as well as chicken and pork dishes and a big salad bar. Everything in the price range btw. 300 and 700 Baht.

Sizzlers up on 6th floor World trade centre is good and good value..

[color:"blue"]

I personally found Sizzler's steak to be not that good value for the money ... had better steak at Woodstock's!!! :eek:

But very good eye candies there at WTC :hubba:

[/color]

I've had a couple of different steaks at Nana Hotel restaurant and only the t-bone was a dissapointment. It had no bone at all actually. But the filet mignon while not a great one is at least a good piece of meat. The fries, sorry chips, are solid and a salad is a salad. Might not be perfect, but okay and not so expensive and certainly has location on its side.

Warbler's has a good deal on Thursdays they call the sizzlin' steak.

I think Neil's is outstanding, but be prepared to open your wallet very wide.

I like Sizzler's more for the soup/salad/food/dessert bar and chicken/seafood dishes than the steaks.

My favorite, though, and, IMO the best deal in Bangkok is The Carlton at the foot of the Sala Daeng BTS station on Silom. They have several good cuts of beef, but the best is the one they call the Carlton Special Kobe Beef. It is really good, and for 290 baht you get a small salad, vegetable, and potato or rice.

The only bad things about this place is the band, which is too loud and never seems to take breaks, and they have begun charging for the good bread and butter that used to be complimentary with the meal.

I have to agree. For me the best steaks in Town are served at Neil`s Tavern. Have tried 5 or 6 different steak-restaurants now (GF is crazy for Steak), but every time we tried something new, we went back to Neil`s Tavern the next time. So far nothing could match it.

But right, they are quite pricey for BKK, but worth it. But that`s just my opinion.

(french fries to our American friends)

No MAS, NO MORE, name changed to "American Fries". Same with toast and syrup, AMERICAN TOAST.

even "French Roast" coffee labels crossed out in the supermarkets, just "roast" now.

cheers, I've tried several places mentioned for Steak. Someone mentioned Outback, it seemed to cost me more than the New York place mentioned in the Marriott and the portion was small. This when it first opened however.

Another odd thing, even at Soi 7 BeerGarden, the "Pepper Steak" is good, the gravy is heavy and the meat good taste. Same for a more culturally acceptable place to many, down Soi 1, "Tilac Resturant", something like that, A German place, nice inside, good pepper steak. If with a girlfriend, give it a try, I can reccomend.

have a nice trip,

Nok

Archived