Sombat's new book!!

Ranger

Was in Asia Books yesterday at the Landmark Hotel loooking for Sombat's new book. Didn't spot it anywhere, so went to the desk to ask the clerks. Asked for it by name, Thailand: Land of beautiful women, and got blank stares from both the male and female clerk. Asked for it by the author's name and said new book? 2 more blank stares. Slowy and clearly repeated the authors name-Dean Barrett. The female clerk smiled and said "Oh yes, we have" and led me down the aisle. She grabbed the book and proudly presented it to me pointing at the title and triumphantly exclaiming "Dilbert!!".

So, Sombat, can you sign it for me?

Ranger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dilbert, I love it! Now, if only the clerks would take people asking for Dilbert to Dean Barrett, all would be well.

Reminds me of the bookstore clerks in British Hong Kong in the 1990's when they shelved "Maps of the Hong Kong Underground" beside Dostoyevsky's "Notes from the Underground." Bookstore clerks, oh, yes, indeed....

Cheers!

Long Gun,

Sorry that we beat you to the only 3 copies that Sombat had on him tonight (maybe that will teach you to be on time-LOL).

Sombat,

Thanks for the autographed copy and the stories you shared. I had a great time with the book tonight as we hit Dollhouse and Rock Hard before ending the night at Thermae. The girls were scrambling to get a look at it and see if they recognized anyone and I was wondering if I would ever see the book again as it was passed around the bars and what it would look like if I got it back. At Rock Hard, the girls let out a scream as the spotted one of their own on page 102 (from the dance contest-used to work at Superstar). She was dancing and they ran to show it to her. I got her to autograph her picture for me later on. It's my goal to do the same with the rest of the several hundred pictures in the book! Most of the girls also recognized the picture of the famous author on the back cover (even without the glasses!).

Seriously, everyone who is a resident or visitor to Thailand needs to get this book, if nothing else to see how many girls they know and how many they "know". If there's a contest, I won't win as I only spotted one that I "know". I actually found the girls in the front half of the book (the regular girls/country girls) much more interesting than the bar girls. My personal favorite is the "construction worker from Kanchanaburi" on page 50.

Get this book! (no, Sombat didn't pay me to say that either!) When's the next half-price book signing party? Long Gun, show up on time next time and maybe he'll save you a copy-LOL!

Ranger

Thanks, Ranger. I intend with each printing to keep replacing a few of the pictures with better and newer pictures. So this project may be what the politicians call "ongoing."

The book is held up because the distributor seems to be having some problems fitting the barcode on the book to their scanners. Some mysterious fly in the scanner, so to speak.

Blackie, I'll be at the Texas Lone Staar Saloon at Washington Square tomorrow (Thursday) 8 to 9 in the evening with a few books. If you cannot make it, no problem, I was going anyway.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Sombat:

Blackie, I'll be at the Texas Lone Staar Saloon at Washington Square tomorrow (Thursday) 8 to 9 in the evening with a few books. If you cannot make it, no problem, I was going anyway.

Sorry, Dean, what time was that ?! I will do my very best to get there tomorrow - I was going to take the missus down there for a massage sometime this week anyway. Please put one aside for me as I need something to liven up the bus journey to Surin on Friday night.

BTW We won the quiz!

LG

Dean Barrett, the author of Kingdom of Make-Believe? I just picked up this book at Asia Books a few months ago and enjoyed it tremendously.

I've read many of the books on Thai nightlife and I have yet to find one I like. David Young's Scribe was the best in this category.

My favorite book with Thai setting has been Gulfs of Thailand by Michael Smithies. Reminds me of Saroyan's short stories.

Kingdom of Make-Believe was a pleasant surprise. One of those books I had to force myself to put down so that I have something left for the next day.

Oy's funeral scene stayed with me for a long time. I still remember the morning I read it while eating breakfast at the Pig & Whistle pub at Soi 7 in Pattaya.

Thanks for an excellent read!

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Mad Max ]

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

You are braver than me. When I went looking for it the other day, I didn't have the nerve to ask for a book with a title look that. Thought they might look at me like I was some sort of pervert (well, I guess I am...)!

Stick

Stick, you're supposed to get your feet wet and your cheeks red from embarassing questions, so we can learn from your experience! Shit, Dean is going have (has had) to live with that master title stuck to his reputation all his life. LOL

Archived