7 covered = 1 bareback

sabio

>If you feel that test kits are a mighty bad idea, don't use them. Others will decide for themselves

I think test kits in the hands of the uninformed, or those blindly oblivious to the greater implications of them *are* a bad idea. Luckily most regulatory agencies agree.

>I am afraid your information about the time frame for the test kit to work is incorrect. Readers who are interested can look up the references included in this web page.

Ah, yes. I think I said 3 to 6 months. On the link it says 80 days. Huge difference. Not. However the point (again) is that it takes two tests separated by a period of time measured in tens of days (not hours or minutes) to ascertain a state of HIV negative, and also as said in the link infectivity can be *greatest* in the window period.

>BGs know exactly what a test for HIV or other STDs is. They get tested regularly.

ROTFLOL. Sadly many of these girls have no idea as to either STDs or HIV, and if they *do* have a vague notion, it is usually so mis-informed as to be useless.

>The moral standard here is adult consent,

sadly it is not. The bar girls may be adult, but I honestly dispute that in the scenario you propose a girl would be able to give *informed* consent, that is, she would understand the *implications* of what she was agreeing to. I further strongly disagree that *you* are in a position to offer appropriate psychological support in the case of a positive test. So in the result of a positive test, as you said "solly" (sic)..and out the door with her??? Not your problem is it? The moral implications are appaling.

I did follow the link you posted and read through what is there. The stats are interesting, if you enjoy watching people play with numbers, but it is extremely dangerous to apply this "logic" to such serious issues, and I particularly object to people who think that wandering around administering HIV tests to bar girs with out thinking of the consequences to the girls is a good idea.

-j-

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CDC still recommends second testing after 6 months (thats after a negative test).

The Association of State and Territorial Public Health Laboratory Directors recommend 12 weeks (3 months).

(which fits with my original post of 3 to 6 months).

http://www.hivguidelines.org/public_html/center/clinical-education/q-and-a/update.htm

I agree *most* individuals should have developed antibodies by 4 weeks. However, as you will agree this case study (the first one):

http://www.niv.ac.za/lessons/volume3/oct2.htm

should give even you pause for thought.

>Some may agree with you, and some may think differently.

I know, and thats what is so sad. So many people risking so much on so little understanding.

-j-

Not sure if this is linked but I was talking to a dek serve about 6 weeks ago in SC and she had a plaster on the outside of her arm between the shoulder and elbow. She told me she had been that day for a HIV test.

2 unrelated incidents followed.

1. I had a blood test for my annual medical 4 weeks ago and they took the blood from the vein inside my elbow - thinking about it, whenever I have had a blood test, its always been from the same place - never in the place the dek serve had it done.

2. Dek Serve no longer works in the farang owned bar - apparently left about a month ago and gone back to Korat !!!

My question is does it matter where they take blood from in your body? Would not surprise me if girls go to places for a blood test, pay the money and the clinic goes through the task of drawing some blood and then saying all clear without doing any tests. However that assumes that this girl left for reasons other than the obvious one

Cheers

Says SingaporeSteve:

My question is does it matter where they take blood from in your body? Would not surprise me if girls go to places for a blood test, pay the money and the clinic goes through the task of drawing some blood and then saying all clear without doing any tests.

Steve:

They look for a "good" vein to draw blood from. This may be in a different spot for different people. For the all three do-it-yourself test kits that I listed, you only need a drop of blood, so that's taken through a finger stick. OraQuick can work with spit instead of a blood drop, but that's not part of the FDA approval yet.

You bring an interesting possibility about some labs not bothering doing the tests. I suspect (and hope) most labs in LOS would not be that unprofessional. Of course test kits are not vulnerable to this problem.

I think the question of what to do if a BG tests positive with OraQuick is an important one, and I would like to discuss this situation (calmly, please :) ). Let me raise a few issues:

1. Since OraQuick has not to date returned a positive in any case that was negative, the situation we are considering here is a BG who is indeed HIV+.

2. Given the low incidence of HIV+ among BGs (they get tested regularly), the situation we are discussing is very rare. The more likely situation is a BG testing positive for genital herpes using POCKit (since herpes is far more common, and the test works even without an outbreak).

3. If the situation we are discussing looks difficult, remember that the alternative, if no testing is done, is that you will be sleeping with a person who has HIV or herpes.

4. If you pick up someone (say a freelancer) who already knows that she has HIV or herpes, the chances are she will not go with you knowing that you will be testing her. If she does, the test result will not be a surprise to her.

Nonetheless, the situation needs to be dealt with if it does happen. I must say that prefer to deal with it :: than to unknowingly sleep with an infected person :banghead: .

Says ib13:

this may sound blunt my best suggestion is for you to seek sanuk in highly regulated/legal countries like holland/germany/singapore/etc

Blunt? You should read some of the responses I got :)

LOS has its unique flavor, though ;) .

Archived