Live from Cambodia

>>>Here we go again... <<<

well, i hope not for that much longer.

the bushdrums bring some interesting news about things to come which will make me more happy than you...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay Nok and Fly you have both had your say. Now I will ask you to remain silent so that anyone who has not been driven away from this already will have an oppurtunity to speak. In other words if either of you post in this thread again in the near future the post will be deleted regardless of merit.

TIA

ag

Interesting observations. You sure got around! My exposure to the sanuk scene in Cambo is pretty limited. Been in PP only 4 times--and never got laid :: Well, okay, by my Khmer GF, but I don't think that counts.

Nevertheless, found K11 to be really depressing. Left within 8 minutes. Sharkey's didn't show me much. Gals were, IMO, about what you find at the Soi 7 beer bar in BKK. Have hit Martini's half a dozen times...talent was not particularly great in terms of numbers of "lookers", but always saw something that caught my eye. 63rd St.--again depressing and I'd have to be pretty hard up to take there. Navy Club seemed to have a fair selection, but didn't really get close enough to get a good look.

Anyway, sounds like the Manhatten might be a possibility (from what you report). 30 bucks doesn't scare me off if the gal is attractive and is fun and "comes thru". Maybe you ought to check it out while your batteries are still charged ::

Personally, I kind of have a soft spot for Khmers due to the circumstances most of the people there have had to endure all of their lives. Accordingly, I tip my maid extravagently (by Khmer standards) and give em what I give the maids in BKK ( a buck a day). I leave a decent tip on restaurant workers. I pay my motodops more than I need to. Small change for me...a lot for them. Overall, like somebody mentioned, by the time you figure in airfare, departure taxes, visa fees, taxi from airport, etc., you can get sanuk in BKK for the same price or cheaper if you factor it out. No need to go to Cambo. I find my attraction to Cambo to be one of facination with the...how do I say it? Ambience? No, maybe the totality of the surreal. The orderly chaos? The ghosts of a "darker" time? Living, a little bit, "on the edge"? I have serious doubts about claims that VN, Khmer, or Thai girls are any better than the other. I'm inclined to think that, in most all cases, it's the luck of the draw. If Thailand has more "lookers", you have to figure in the fact that the gals in Thailand have more money to buy make up, have their hair "done", buy nicer clothes. And Thailand has about 10 times the population.

Well you haven't driven me away at least. There's no good reason that I can see to not have this kind of info be part of this discussion. It's part of it. Can't be denied.

What would be helpful, especially in a place like this (this board) would be to know HOW to be able to tell if conditions like the ones you describe exist in a certain place. Keep in mind that the mindset of a lot of people who visit here (and who visit Cambodia especially) is to visit such places as long as they can think to themselves MAYBE it's not like that here. And that thought there might be enough for them to allow themselves to give it a try.

I mean for instance, you say that these are the conditions in those brothels (which I don't doubt) -- but is it so in ALL? or is it a very high percentage? or is it 50-50%? and how do we know this? Again, I don't doubt that studies have been done on this, that this is probably known information. And then what about other venues? Such as a Sharky's... what % of girls in those kinds of places would be in those conditions? ('I don't know' is an unacceptable answer!)

So what I'm getting to is... surely not all of the Cambodian scene is like that, like what you describe. I'm going to anticipate what you'll say next, which is that there's no way to be sure in any place in Cambodia isn't infected by that kind of thing, so therefore any place should be avoided -- and to that I'll have to say that then in order to achieve what you want here, to be effective in any way, then guys like the ones who come here need a way to be able to discern that for themselves. OR else go instead to places where it probably does not exist.

For instance, I highly doubt those girls at Manhattan have anything to do with a system like that. It's possible I'm wrong. But I doubt it. And surely a place like Martini's has a high percentage of freelancers (most?). To just say "but how can we know?" isn't enough. I mean, that just isn't going to work to get people to stay away.

So how do we connect the dots? If there were simple questions to ask a girl to be able to determine if she's there by her choice....

For instance, what would one of these NGO's recommend as a good litmus test to try to avoid contributing to the problem? think of it like safe sex -- if your solution is to totally avoid sex here, well, you're just not going to be very effective. You have to educate people how to avoid the problem, knowing that they will be going there and will be trying to have sex.

And also the real basis for all this has to be that we need to know for sure that IF she is in a brothel, then that means almost surely she's not there by choice. We need some evidence to support that. It needs to be fairly current too because it does seem as if things are changing quickly here.

I was in Cambodia 2 yrs ago. I saw KM11 at its height. There were many VN girls in Martini and elsewhere then. There are not now. There seems to be a big decline in those kinds of things (like I said, I haven't spotted any girls who look underage in these 2 trips), which makes me think that maybe the NGO's finally are getting a handle on the situation, that it may actually be improving.

Archived