praise-the-thais

pattaya127

following our exchanges on the Peeve subject, may i suggest for once, some of us tell of good things that thais did for them when they were in need of help. I posted some of my good luck on that thread, will be glad to do more as i remember instances of Thai Jai Dee, but how about a hand for the thai people from us once in a while?

I agree that this thread should nicely balance out the peeves thread.

A couple of weeks ago, my mobile phone wouldn't work. It kept saying to insert the SIM card, so I must have taken the card in and out 50 times with no luck. Took it to a phone shop in MBK (not the one where I had bought the phone either), explained the problem to a guy who spoke no English and my Thai is limited. Not sure what he did to fix the problem, but when I asked him how much, he said free. I tried to give him 100B anyway and he shook him head, smiled and said Mai Pen Rai. Made my day!

Ranger

"not quite sure where if i posted that one before on nana. Last Jan. ran out of gas going up Doi Suthep, 2 bikes stopped by (thais), tried to siphon gas out of their tank, finally one went up and came back with a liter. refused the money. "

Great bike ride to the Doi Suthep, rally enjoy that one smile.gif" border="0

Hi,

Almost got into a fight with a cabdriver a few years back. The fare was 63 Baht and I wanted to round up, he told me 60 Baht and refused to accept the 70 Baht even after I insisted.

Another one...

Something that has probably happened to a lot of us. Whenever you arrive somewhere and there are Thais eating/drinking, they will almost always ask you to join them.

Sanuk!

Songkran 1995 in Chiang Rai....

Trying to walk down the street from my guest house to buy a paket of fags in the morning and staggering back early the next after being invited to sit and drink with people enjoying the festivities. Ah them was the days.

Cheers

Jaga

Last trip in March,was staying at Tai-Pan and have always been leery of cabs parked in front of hotel bugging you in english.Well the day I was to leave got back late to my hotel and had to take one of the cabs out front,he only charged 250B including tolls and was a nice guy.TIT

Several times recently I have had taxi drivers that have insisted on rounding the fare in my favor. I always insist that the rounding go there way, but I am quite impressed when

Thais are certainly more polite than any other group of people I have encountered.

You can walk virtually anywhere in Bangkok without fear of getting mugged.

We all complain, but on balance, my own complaints notwithstanding, this is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

And it is precisely because this a wonderful place with many wonderful people that I get so upset when I see some of the not-so-wonderful policies in place. See for example the op-ed in this week's FEER at page 8. The xenophobia actually does more harm to Thailand and Thais than it does to Farangs.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: RogerRabbit ]

Archived