J.W. Marriot. Suk.

jacko

i saw in the newspaper that they had a 3500 baht promotion rate; but it was for residents of thailand only (including farang residents). as a corporate rate or through a good and aggressive travel agent, you can get it below 100 usd.

i agree with you on your quote re rip off

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point taken, I have been in the place plenty of times but not stayed there. But I still feel it would need to be pretty good to justify over 4000 baht/ night. Firstly I think it is aggravating that the hotel is priced in dollars - rather an insult to the local currency.

It is also annoying that everything is geared to squeezing you for maximum profit. From the $5 beer in the little fridge to the overpriced laundry and the stupid cardboard bow tie you get when the shirt comes back.

You pay an extra $20 dollars a night to cover the ornate fountain in the lobby, and they won't let you take a dip in it when you come back from your drinking!! :dunno:

Says jacko:

You pay an extra $20 dollars a night to cover the ornate fountain in the lobby, and they won't let you take a dip in it when you come back from your drinking!!
:dunno:

It's for use by registered guests only. :grinyes:

Stayed there on several occasions. Usually booked it through Priceline for 470 HongKong dollars per night. (Although last time I booked a 5 star on Sukhumvit through Princeline in the US I ended up at the Grande Sheraton which does even begin to compare). In my estimation, the Mariott is simply to best place to stay if you can afford it. Perfect location, great atmosphere, no hassles with bringing friends back to the hotel, impeccable service. You get what you pay for and, in my estimation again, the Mariott is worth every penny of it. If you don't want to pay extra for the bowties on the starched shirt, have your laundry done down the road... (and why are you staying there anyone if that upsets you?)... And no, they won't let you dive into the fountain in the middle of the night--you shouldn't expect a five star hotel to let you do so... That's exactly why in part it costs so much to stay there!!

Nich

Well based on your statement I will give the place a try!

(If I can get in for under a ton $)

Of course I can afford it, and you certainly seem to be getting a good deal from Hong Kong! I personally do not like the Priceline option because you are committed and are never quite sure where you will end up.

Impeccable service is not restricted to 5 stars.

The diving in the fountain comment went over your head, I am saying you pay (a lot) for a lot you will never use in these places.

I am on a one man crusade to get these hotels to charge realistic prices! :cussing:

Says jacko:

I am on a one man crusade to get these hotels to charge realistic prices!
:cussing:

take it easy, jack!

in comparison to other cities, bangkok hotel prices are really cheap; not only with western cities, but also with asian cities. in hongkong, singapore, taipei, seoul or tokyo you do not get much more than a rathole for under 100usd. even chinese cities like shanghai or shenzhen are now more expensive.

if there was not so much overcapacity of high standard hotels in bangkok, prices would be higher!

This is true, I was paying over $200/night in Hongkong a decade ago for hotels with construction noise at 8.00 am!

That said I am here in the USA in a place that has a seperate bedroom, 2 TVs, large fridge and ample space. I have daily cleaning and towels. Not much in the way of other 'necessities' though."

No Tennis or squash courts.

No guy dressed like a cockatoo on the entry steps to open the door.

No mint on my pillow every day.

No overpriced bar and restaurants.

No snooty floorwalkers looking like they have a bad smell under their nose.

No carpet in the elevator that matches the current day of the week.

$52/day for roughing it, and it is owned by the Marriot chain too.

:dunno:

Says jacko:

Well based on your statement I will give the place a try!

(If I can get in for under a ton $)

Of course I can afford it, and you certainly seem to be getting a good deal from Hong Kong! I personally do not like the Priceline option because you are committed and are never quite sure where you will end up.

Impeccable service is not restricted to 5 stars.

The diving in the fountain comment went over your head, I am saying you pay (a lot) for a lot you will never use in these places.

I am on a one man crusade to get these hotels to charge realistic prices!
:cussing:

The arguement of Price/Value for hotels is highly subjective. There are those that swear by the Nana Hotel, while others (myslef included) that wouldn't stay there is they charged 10 baht. I can get a corp rate at the Marriott for 3200 nett, or about $75 per night USD. For a 5 star hotel in a major city, that is frankly better than any Marriott in the US, I will gladly pay that any day.

But I respect that others may not have my budget, or share my values.

It is VERY useful when others on the board share their experiences and sources.

WRT Priceline, I don;t think it is too bad now, given that if you bid for a 5 star in Suk, you know you will get either the JWM, Sheraton, or Westin. All are guest friendly and are very good hotels. The downside is inability to change or cancel. For that flexibility, I use my corp rate at the JWM.

Follow-up. DId a 450 HK$ bid for 5 star on Sukhumvit. Got the Westin. Checked in Friday for two nights but now staying another 7 nights. Room is Superior room but a corner room which is quite nice. The travel desk in the hotel had a rate that was quite good (least in my view point) of 2500bt including bfast and all taxes. Certainly beats my price line bid. I tried to do a low ball bid in priceline but was not accepted so went with the 2500bt per night rate.

Hotel is guest friendly (so far) ... still being remodeled in areas. Deluxe rooms are not ready (so I was told when I tried to upgrade via Star preferred guest). Was told Superior rooms will go under the remodeling in May (least the floor I am on will be (16th)).

Archived