"Do you really speak like that?"

gawguy

When I come across a phrase in a book I always wonder if people really speak like that?

If you have seen the phrase books Thais use to learn English, you will understand what I mean. They have the most formal, stilted, unreal phrases imaginable. Where do they get that stuff. I only have one example that I can remember, probably because it's so mild (therefore not the best example.) "What time is it?" "Right on ten." I have never said that in my life and never heard it.

Anyway, when I look up something my books, I want to run it by a friend. Usually an Issaner. How do I ask if people really speak like this?

Thanks

GG

"Anyway, when I look up something my books, I want to run it by a friend. Usually an Issaner. How do I ask if people really speak like this?"

jow wow jang sii e-lee baw "You really speak like this?"

It's no doubt hard to translate English to Thai with all the idiomatic phrases in use. See your post for example "I want to run it by a friend" A Thai who has studied English for years would have trouble with such a phrase.

Hi,

I agree that the books normally list formal phrases but the phrases can be understood.

Everyday language may differ depending on who ones communicate with but I still feel that they can be understood. So, IMO, following the books are not bad. ::

Cheers1

Hi,

I agree that the books normally list formal phrases but the phrases can be understood.

Everyday language may differ depending on who ones communicate with but I still feel that they can be understood. So, IMO, following the books are not bad. ::

Cheers

Hi Jasmine

That would very much depend on 1) the book 2) the author.

There was recently published a new edition of the Lonely Plannet travel guide covering Denmark.

I was browsing through the pages when I accidentally came by the language section.

There was no doubt that the authors didn`t trouble themselves by consulting a danish speaking person before the publication went to press.

They were using archaic expression and idioms not used in Denmark for the last 50 years or so.

One should think that a renowed publication as the Lonely Planet would put a little more effort into their books, but apparently not.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

[color:"red"] They were using archaic expression and idioms not used in Denmark for the last 50 years or so.

[/color]

Oh, I am so dissapointed to hear that. You are right, you would think that things should be checked before the publishing. I don't know what happens to the "quality" of things sometimes, it is a shame! :dunno:

Jasmine :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Says jasmine:

Oh, I am so dissapointed to hear that... you would think that things should be checked before the publishing. I don't know what happens to the "quality" of things sometimes, it is a shame!
:dunno:

Jasmine
:devil:

Jasmine, in these times of recession, most publishers (if not all) are more interested in making money than monitoring the quality of a product. Stages of the start-to-finish publishing process to be first eliminated as too costly include manuscript reviewing/editorial input/rewriting/multiple proofreading. (I speak from experience as both a disgruntled editor and writer :(.) To put it bluntly, most bandwagon-jumping publishers nowadays will put out any old shite as long as they think it will sell short-term ::. EFL textbooks, which purport correctly to teach the language in which they are printed, are far from immune to this lackadaisical treatment. No names mentioned (Cambridge UP, Pearson, Longman... ;)), but even the larger, "respectable" EFL publishing houses are slack on quality control nowadays. Texts are full of errors and contradictions, non-authentic here-today-gone-tomorrow English and worthless non-piloted classroom activities :doah:. People tend to think that because something has been "published", it has some kind of automatic authority and integrity. This is not the case, as anyone involved in writing/publishing nowadays will, if they are being honest, admit. If the price is right, a publisher will not reject your laundry list for publication. :cussing:

jack ::

Archived