How important are tourists for Thailand?

basilofbarnes

The issue that every one is dancing around is the informal economic sector. The government is fully aware that it exists, but because it is difficult to quantify it is not going to show up in a benchmark. That is not to say that there are is no accounting for the informal sector, there is but it would hard to produce reliable statistics to compare with other countries. If you are interested in knowing what people are up against see Schneider: Size and Measurement of the Informal Economy in 110 Countries Around the World.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"50,000 factories in Thailand for which wastewater output quality is monitored" I love this stat because if I remember right, Thailand has only the capacity to process 20% of the sludge created. Or some ungodly percentage under 50. Makes you wonder what you are showering in!!!

<<burp>>

Guys,

In case anyone missed it, my original reply was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. OK, sarcastic is probably closer to it.

If you re-read it, you'll see that I've identified several areas in which Thailand has excelled over its near-neighbours (light manufacturing, finance and trade), and my point is that tourism may well be a relatively small part of their GDP when you look at the potentially huge advantages they have over their neighbours : good technology base AND low labour costs. Add to that a relatively stable political climate, and it is little wonder that a lot of multinationals have reason to smile in the LOS. Not sure how long this will remain the case as India and China modernise : apparently, the multinationals can employ a graduate with good English skills in Delhi as a 'Call Centre Executive' for $US40 a week. Correct me if I'm wrong, but very few degree-qualified English speakers in BKK will work for that kind of money.

OK, English teachers aside :neener: :neener: :neener:

Hi mrkungfu

to most around the world Thailand is still undiscovered territory. Everyone is still going to Ibiza, Canacun and the Carribean

Lemme guess, you live in the US, right? And when you claim that "to most people around the world...etc" you are referring to exactly what parts of the world?

Me thinks you have been wearing them stars and stripes tinted glasses too long. ::

There is an entire world outside of the US and Thailand is a BIG holdiday destination for many europeans as for aussies and kiwis for starters.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Says Hua Nguu:

Hi mrkungfu

to most around the world Thailand is still undiscovered territory. Everyone is still going to Ibiza, Canacun and the Carribean

Lemme guess, you live in the US, right? And when you claim that "to most people around the world...etc" you are referring to exactly what parts of the world?

Me thinks you have been wearing them stars and stripes tinted glasses too long. ::

There is an entire world outside of the US and Thailand is a BIG holdiday destination for many europeans as for aussies and kiwis for starters.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

HN,

I think he's Canadian and lives in Toronto. :)

[color:"green"] yep thailand is definately a more popular destination than cancun or carib - here in europe & especially in scandinavia... [/color]

Need to lookup some numbers on this, but Cancun and the Carib. are popular with Brits and Europeans. Just think of Cuba and all the resorts built for the European tourists.

"Need to lookup some numbers on this, but Cancun and the Carib. are popular with Brits and Europeans. Just think of Cuba and all the resorts built for the European tourists. "

Cuba is very pop with Canadians. From Europe its many from Spain and Italy.

Its not a lot of people who go to Cuba from my country (Norway).

Cheers!

[color:"red"] Yeah, thats it : drugs and hookers.

[/color]

Now, now, got up in a wrong side of bed, eh?

I don't know about drugs, hookers have been exports for a while (not official YET), especially to Europe and Australia!!!

When I was little we were taught that the exports were: rice, teak, rubber. Rice is still is and I think rubber too.

Try to sleep in the right side of the bed ok? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Jasmine :devil:

Archived