Scoring rules of Thai rummy?

ranma500

This probably isn't a 'language' post, but you all seem a friendly lot in this section, and it seems like the only people who could ever answer my question would be Thai speakers, so...

I quite like playing cards and enjoy a game of rummy. I would play more often in the U.K. if all my friends didn't find it incredibly boring.

But my Thai GF and her sister love playing their Thai version of rummy for 10Bt stakes.

I understand most of the rules, but the scoring still baffles me.

Every time I think I have won, they tot up the scores and inevitably come to the conclusion that I owe them money!

Has anyone worked out the scoring, and would they ever venture to explain it to me?

I think:

gain 10 Bt for having laid down all your cards first (In Thai, I think this is 'nok')

lost 10 Bt for not having laid down any cards at the game's conclusion.

gain 10Bt for having been able to take and play the first card laid down (kamoy hua)

gain 10Bt for having laid down a Queen (pair of Queens or which Queen I'm not quite sure) (I think this is 'Oom')

Something about 2s as well.

And a few more obscure scores that I really don't understand.

Can anyone help?

ranma

I've only played rummy here a couple times and I was kind of confused about the scoring as well (never played for money) Sounds like they are playing a varient of Euchre.

I'm much better at 'Pok Deng' which is similar to blackjack but based on 9's

Says ranma500:

Every time I think I have won, they tot up the scores and inevitably come to the conclusion that I owe them money!

Can anyone help?

Hi ranma,

I just found this amusing.

I suspect you have already learned the fundamentals of the rules - any more is just window dressing to make you feel better.

Khwai

Archived