Money in Cambodia

When in BKK it is easy to just go to an ATM so you can travel with small amounts of cash. What should you do when in cambodia to travel safe ie not loose to much if the worst happens but still have easy access to money.

Don?t go over with more than you will need; take lots of singles. Take your daily allowance and leave the rest in the hotel safe. You could pay the hotel bill up front, so if the worst were to happen you would not be homeless. Take a cheap wallet for nightly excursions; if you get robed at gunpoint, give it up without complaint.

There are no ATMs, but you can get a cash advance from your credit card; although you will get screwed on the exchange rate and the cash advance fee.

Says rovineye:

But like said above, bring lots of small bills.

Usually USD 20/ USD 50 are ok in most places, that are commonly frequented by tourists. Small bills are only nessesary for motos. IMO, more a problem is getting rid of the huge amounts of small KRL bills.

But like said above, bring lots of small bills.

[color:"blue"]

depends on the length of stay .... hotel bills are probably the highest cost.

I found 5s and 20s to be most useful ... changes less than $1 comes in local currencies, in my experience.

[/color]

Says Jazz:

I found 5s and 20s to be most useful

Me too. Matches exactly the st/ lt prices. ;) 1s are helpfully when it comes to tips.

Archived