Carewsing in Bangkok - May 2003

carew66

A brief, probably disjointed, resume of the latest trip.

I landed here on Tuesday I think. Vietnamese Airlines from Danang via HCMC. Loved Vietnam but wasn?t there looking for anything other than knowledge so after a sobering start to my vacation I was looking forward to hitting the bars.

Cleared the SARS line and Immigration in record time and then made a basic error. I used one of the desks at arrivals to arrange a cab into town. I wanted it like now. Sure, I was told. Then once I had handed over 650 baht (I know, I know but I was in a hurry man) I was led on foot to the other end of the terminal and then had to wait a further 10 minutes for a rather beat up old Volvo. Then the guy takes the scenic route. I was a bit tired to say the least but I just smiled away. What?s a few more minutes after all these months of waiting? Bastard just lost his tip that?s all. ::

I had a very mild bollocking from the reception at the DieNasty because I hadn?t reconfirmed my booking. Fair enough but then they hadn?t made it crystal clear when they confirmed my booking uin the first place. I was told that it was very important to do this as it is ?High Season? (Oh Yeah?!!!). Don?t kid a kidder my dear. I might look like a cabbage but I ain?t that green. :angel:

As punishment I have a room in the segregation block. It?s a bit tired this room but hey ? it?s got a bed. It won?t impress any lovelies but then I don?t think that their priority is gonna be my range and style of soft furnishings.

First night was the usual kiddie in a sweetshop kinda thang. Too much. Luckily the ?Full Monty? English breakfast in the Chequers on Soi 4 washed down with umpteen cups of coffee soon has the desired effect and I?m now into a more sensible routine. I must remember to sleep though. It?s an alternative use for that bed.

Checked out this Gullivers joint - twice. Yeah?.impressed. It?s big and so it?s not packed. Very ?Hard Rock Cafe'. I?m telling you now though folks ? there?s no way that I?m sitting anywhere near that bloody car that?s suspended and revolving from the roof.

I am travelling with my mate who is as near a newbie to this town as you can get. It?s been 20 years since he was in Bangkok and then only fleetingly. He has linked up with a lovely lass and I reckon that is her who he will be with for the rest of the trip. Ah - sweet ;) Myself ? I?m just flying solo most nights. Missing the rest of the London Contingent at times though. When I?m a bit drunk I keep expecting Rusty, Kipster et al to appear. When they don?t I just make it up and talk to my invisible friends. Guaranteed to get you a table to yourself in any restaurant. :drunk:

However ? two of the lads are in town. Redbaron (bless him) and ChrisG . The base camp therefore has shifted to Gullivers as it has a bit of everything for everybody (as opposed to the Beergarten which Chris isn?t overly fond of).

Nana Disco. Come on, I really should grow out of this place! No, it really is that good in my humble opinion. Have you ever noticed that the rubber stamp on the back of your hand is really difficult to wash off? It?s the BKK equivalent of the Mark of Cain. No need to ask where you were last night ? it?s written all over your er? hand .

Okay ? I have to go now as slop out needs to be done before association tonight and I don?t want to upset the screws.

Plan for the near future? Heading down to Jomtiem. Yeah ? well you know I mean Pattaya and I know I mean Pattaya but I?m saying Jomtiem so there. I couldn?t ever admit to the boys that I went to Pattaya voluntarily now could I? Not after the slagging I gave it at Christmas. :dunno:

Anyway I fancy a bit of gracious living at the flb favoured hotel that I couldn?t get into in December.

I remain your humble pissed up, shagged out, PTSD suffering, front-line correspondent. Rageh Omarr eat yer heart out. These days we can file from the battlefield kid.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear you are still alive and well. are you really going to pattaya??? Give my regards to Khun Rolf and that happy smiley girl you were with at Xmas.

Nah - I've given the Grace a miss. Usually all sorted well before 2 o clock. I did have a good crack in Thermae last night although I brought my own - no corkage charge and she was corking.

Biergarten for 2 bottles, Gullivers for a couple and then the Thermae.

Yep N400. I am off down there on Sunday. I've gone for what I believe is a more salubrious hotel than that in which I found myself at Yuletide. Apparently it has carpets and electricity and everything. Result!!

I'll pop in and see Rolf but Smiler won't be around I think. They all kind of did a bunk after Christmas. If the Catwoman is there though - and I believe she may be - then I won't be around there for long.

I have constructed a life-size model of Kipster (where the hell are ya Kip?) which I will drag down Soi 8. And I bet it still pulls better chicks than I could!

Meanwhile in Nana Entertainment Plaza there is frantic activity as girls prepare large banners for the entrance way: "NEP welcomes the Village Idiot". I, of course, benefit by association and have been co-opted onto the committee that will be greeting his arrival in June. Fireworks and live bands apparently. Limo from the airport. I think he'll enjoy himself.

That's Mister Cunt to you dear boy!

If it makes you feel any better....

Look this is serious research I'm doing here. Sure, it sounds like fun ("...and then I went to Nana Disco yadda yadda yadda") but it's actually very tiring. Exhausting even. I don't want to even begin telling you about the painstaking preparation that goes into a night out here. Oh dear me no. It's a major logistical exercise just getting out of the hotel.

Things have to be planned . Arrangements have to be made. Clothes have to be purchased and money changed. And that's just the beginning. Every night I force myself to talk with these girls - bloody hard work I can tell you. "Where you flom?" "How long you stay in Thailand" "Where you stay in Bangkok". Now the replies to these interrogations have to be carefully weighed and all possible future repercussions considered and risk-assessed. You think that's fun? Really? Honestly? Then you are crazy man. Crazy.

Give me a drizzly night in Droylesden anytime.

It is only for your benefit that I am running myself ragged here and what thanks do I get? None. Zilch. Zero. Tchhh!

====================

I'll be in Gullivers tonight and check if any other members are knocking about. At least they'll empathise with the sheer slog of an average day here.

:bow:

Archived