Sugar Daddy Time - Tammai?

StoneSoup

Well, gents -

OK, I've lived in the vicinity of Lower Sukhumvit for over three years now, and I've gotten fairly used to the recurring seasonal patterns.

But suddenly, over just the past three weeks, I've started to notice an unusual pattern. With various freelancers that I have known for years, and also a couple of hard to bed waitress types that I've become casual friends with - and even one Longgun dancer type - suddenly, I've been experiencing a sequence of fairly agreessive changes in behavior - the ladies coming out of nowhere to declare that they would like to settle down with me. But - I have a live-in gf, and although I flirt with abandon, I am pretty well known to not screw around on her - and most of the ladies that have sought to "snuggle up closer" already know my gf.

Now - I know I haven't recently become better looking, or more charming - and certainly not richer (or even richer-looking) - so something else must be in play.

I decided today that - just like the "canaries in the coal mines" - the recent display of both "hard-to-get" types, and also high-earning, high-end (if not "stunner") talent seeking to "settle down" - means that these girls' instincts tell them that a real down and dirty "famine" of punter income is on its way. So - girls that would normally be taking in 40-60,000 baht a month are suddenly starting to seek out a "safe haven" in which to ride out the storm - for free rent and maybe some unimpressive "roommate cash".

My gf has noticed the increasing attention that I am being shown, and has started berating me about it (hey chickee, not a smart move in a "motivated seller's" market....).

I think I can probably stand the recent new attention from near-stunners who have traditionally been indifferent to me (tough job, but someone has to do it). But - I'm starting to wonder - just how bad ARE the pickings going to get for the ladies? And what is going to drive the famine - SARS doesn't seem to me to be pervasive enough to account for the sudden displays of "nesting instict" among the cream of the crop.

I've seen slow seasons, and this one is clearly a bit leaner than the recent "low seasons" that I recall - but there is something unprecedented going on - and I have to think that another shoe must be getting ready to drop.

The "pride of the fleet" ladies usually don't just retire to quiet harbors as soon as the going gets tough - being at the top of the bg food chain, they usually just work a little more aggressively, and let the lesser girls worry about starving.

Then again, maybe they can see some sort of indication that I'm about to win the lottery (pretty tough, when you don't even buy tickets), and they're just jockeying for position.

All in all, I'm certainly not complaining - but there is something weird going on. I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy it!

The Fighting Fish

Stone Soup

Tell me ... are you displaying any of the syptomology of the strain of "SARS" that I seemed to contract in the lower Sukhumvit area ? :grinyes: ... maye it's this that your GF

notices.

... and it's more than "nesting instinct" ... sure the 'slow season' may contribute, but like you say, "you're certainly not complaining." ... I haven't heard of many benefactors who are.

SARs is driving the downturn. The number of tourists from Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and China are way down. Now the Euro tourists will have to have a different lady every hour, 24 hours per day to make up the short fall. Are they up to the task? :devil:

Says shygye:

SARs is driving the downturn. The number of tourists from Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and China are way down. Now the Euro tourists will have to have a different lady every hour, 24 hours per day to make up the short fall. Are they up to the task?
:devil:

Go check out the Japanese karaoke bars on Soi 22 they are empty!!! As a matter of fact every busines that caters to tourists on Soi 22 is now empty!

Maybe the BG's might want to make their contribution along with the TAT hotel and airfare discount promotions. :grinyes:

SS,

Having settled down myself in a similar situation. :grinyes:

I can see your point. :grinyes:

My take on this as a local is that some of the "girls" maybe are starting to see what good thing they could have with a "steady" BF :grinyes:

After all, a good place to stay and three square meals is not a bad thing if you don't have to work for it, but then again it may be because you are so handsome :doah:

Hi ss,

Just a few comments that might explain some of this.

I think a high proportion of the bg of whatever type are looking for a "sugar daddy". They know it can happen and they want it to happen to them. Some end up with a team of overseas benefactors, others get a resident, others never manage to find anybody. The reason they want this is probably the innate laziness that is a key characteristic of most bg. It is a lot easier to keep one man happy and producing cash than to spend night after night looking for ST (or even LT) money. About a year ago I had two direct requests within the space of a couple of weeks (one I agreed to). Recently I have had approaches from someone else, and there is a girl in Soi 33 who I know would jump at the chance, but I have told her very clearly that I have commitments already. And in case anyone is wondering, I am not boasting about this. I am far from a "hansum man". However, I guess I am not totally repulsive, I try to dress smart, have a "jai yen" disposition, and have money. This makes me acceptable, if not a quite attractive option.

You say you have recently noticed this, but it often happens that something that has been creeping up for a while is suddenly noticed so it may have been going on for a while. Time is a factor here, so as these girls get to know you better, or at least keep on seeing you, your place in their target list goes up. In other words, you become more and more worth working on because they expect to see you again and a longer term campaign is worthwhile.

Loyalty to each other (i.e. your current GF) is generally fairly low, imo.

I don't think that this has a lot to do with the downturn, in fact. It is more that you have been around longer and longer and have become a more worthwhile target.

Khwai

SS,

While your title had little to do with your thread, it was well-written and interesting.

I too have had some similar experiences and gone through the 3 years and lower sukhumvit life rountine.

I have been out of bar scene circulation for a couple of months due to involvement with a girl.

If you are asking if times are more desperate than usual for the girls, i will use this one example.

I had a regular out of mandarin when i was in circulation. We developed a nice friendship during this time where we still keep in touch via phone messages.

Out of the blue the other day, she shows up at my place and asked if she could "borrow" a few thousand baht. This was completely out of character for her as she has a lot of pride and more importantly never had a cash flow problem. I will add she is quite attractive, low-key and a very nice personality. Guys who come into contact with her likes her style very much...

As to borrowing, i don't lend money to friends in thailand because i know what "borrowing" means here. End of friendship potential if she doesn't pay back. I explained this to her and gave her a couple thousand baht out of need.

From this interaction and talking about the scene with her, this might be the worst time for sheer number of customers in the ten years of my association in LOS. I don't think the customers are spending or taking less, it is just the customer base isn't there. The ex-pats seem to be there, but they are not what the girls rely on for money generation.

If this customer and thus money drought continue, could we see an exodus of some girls heading back home for browner pastures? If no money or significant less money coming in, is it not cheaper to live upcountry than in BKK, Phuket, etc?

Old Hipple, if you read this, strike one up for if the demand dries up so does the supply? That is how i would deal with the drug problem, not the other way around which seems to be the thinking and practice of USA, Thailand, and most other countries.....

Cardinalblue

Says cardinalblue:

If this customer and thus money drought continue, could we see an exodus of some girls heading back home for browner pastures? If no money or significant less money coming in, is it not cheaper to live upcountry than in BKK, Phuket, etc?

Hi cb,

I think you have hit the nail on the head here. The reaction to a downturn will be return to the village. The least succesful will go first, leaving others to work with the lower numbers of clients.

Khwai

I think what you have been experiencing is

Sukhumvit Aggressive Roosting Syndrome.

This is characterized by a sudden desire to settle down for the monsoon season in a cool dry place until the normal food sources return in the cool season.

The girls affected by this will experience the following symptoms:

1. Sudden desire to feather their nest with easy cash from a foreign source

2. Panic as traditional sources of foreign cash become scarce

3. Increased laziness as hard work no longer produces sufficient reward

4. Willingness to settle down and mate with just one person instead of having frequent sex and a variety of mates

5. Boredom with the bar scene and willingess to forgo the constant attention of the opposite sex

6. Willingness to mate with a not so hansum man (at least until the world economy recovers or high season, whichever comes first)

Archived