Movies featuring Bangkok and other parts of Thai..

steffi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though, I will have a close look next time I see "Deer Hunter" since rumour is some scenes is shot in the Soi Cowboy neighbourhood...

Straycat - it's weird you bring that up. I've been on a Deer Hunter "kick" lately meaning I watch the darn thing at least once a week. I had not realized until reading the DVD extras that the Saigon street scenes were filmed in Pat Pong (the producers claim to have "bought" the street for a couple of days and shut it down to the public in order to shoot) while the battles were filmed in Thailand (this is what was explained on the DVD so if someone knows something otherwise take it out with the distributor not me please). I know we have had the movie topic before on the board and this may be redundant but I just found that interesting.

Says ms00033:

Saw a flick here in U.S about Bangkok called

Bangkok Dangerous about a deaf contract killer in Thai with subtitles on showtime....

Not really that good.

Yep seen it here in the UK too, hired it from Blockbusters believe it or not. Thought it would surprise the missus, but all it managed to do was bore her to death and remind her of the poor quality of some of the Thai movie production studios.

Wow, I can't believe you guys! I thought that bangkok dangerous was an extremely well crafted film.

Although Bangkok dangerous is basically a revenge movie, it shows at least why the central character takes revenge. You actually see how Kong became the cold blooded killer that he is, and you can still feel sympathy for him. You see why he develops his friendships and why he has to avenge his friends. All this is done with very well thought out flashbacks that are layed sparsely throughout the film.

The scene where he walks in the hallway of a Japanese restaurant with his friend beside him is unforgettable and one of the best edited scenes I have ever seen. Add to that a great soundtrack, some interesting shots of thai nightlife and a great couleur locale, and you've got yourself an excellent movie!

For some nice Thai scenery, try a nutty thing called "Surf Ninjas". Over half was shot in Thailand. The good guys surf ashore at Phuket/Phangnga ... then climb ashore to end up at Wat Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai! Leslie Nielsen plays the bionic bad guy.

Also, for a look at old Bangkok rent a copy of "The Ugly American" with Marlon Brando. It was shot here at least 35 years ago. Wide tree lined streets with no traffic jams!

Patpong was closed down for THE DEER HUNTER shooting (around 1980). The alleged Saigon go-go bar (I'm a VN vet and there weren't any in VN) is the old Mississippi Queen, now defunct and missed. The girl Chris Walken picks up really was a Patpong BG. I remember her when she worked in the Safari. (Little bit of a thing, but a gtreat body. She must be retired now -- in her mid to late 40s.)

I had friends who worked in THE DEER HUNTER. It was an American film company and paid well. THE KILLING FIELDS was shot here by a Brit company -- cheaper than dirt. I worked as an extra, and we actually went on a sit down strike one day over the crappy pay.

The US Embassy scenes in THE KILLING FIELDS were shot in Nakorn Pathom, west of Bangkok. The hotel scenes were at the old Railway Hotel in Hua Hin. The Cambodian scenes were shot in Surin or Buriram. (Forget which.)

Also, in GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM if you look closely you can see the Thai flags on the boats on the "Saigon River". :o

Satri Lek 2 has been out for months now. You can get a VCD version easily enough, though I haven't seen any with subtitles. There is also another khatoey flick -- PRANG CHOMPOO (called "Saving Private Tootsie" in English.) Some khatoeys get lost or kidnapped in the jungle near the Burmese border, and the Thai Army has to go rescue them. Where else would you find such a film but in Thailand! :grinyes:

Archived