Best way to get from airport to Pattaya.

On my last trip, I hailed a taxi in front of the Majestic for a ride to the bus station further up Sukhimvit. The taxi driver gave me a sales pitch and eventually talked me into him taking me all the way to Pattaya for 1000 baht.

First he drove a few miles out of the way to get gas at a friends gas station, at least that what I think he did. Then we go to Pattaya. I realize he isn't using the toll road to save a few baht and eventually give him money to do so. A while later he made another stop. At the end of the trip he was nagging me for a 200B tip. The trip ended up taking 2 hours and 50 minutes, and costing over 1200 baht. I am a very big person, and was in the backseat of a very small car which had, as far as I can tell, no shock absorbers.

On the way back to Bangkok, I caught a baht bus from my Soi 2 hotel to the bus station (20 baht), immediately departed on a comfortable, airconditioned bus (90 baht) to the Bangkok bus station, and then took a waiting taxi back the Majestic (70 baht). Hotel-to-hotel travel time was under 2 hours and 10 minutes.

The trip was faster, over 1000 baht cheaper, more comfortable, and I got to sit next to 2 cute and fun girls to keep me company.

I'm not against taking taxi's by any means. In fact I reguarly take Thai Limo's 1500 baht cars to and from the airport to Pattaya. Since the Bus station is right on Sukhimvit (directly on the way to Pattaya) however, if you are staying in Bangkok, it really is almost just as convenient to simply take the bus and save yourself the equivilant of one night's hotel cost.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>it really is almost just as convenient to simply take the bus and save yourself the equivilant of one night's hotel cost.<<<

Depends on where you stay!!

I agree though, I have always enjoyed that obscenely long journey from Eekamai to Pattaya, especially on 1 particular Friday night last October. It was about 7.45pm when the bus departed and finally arrived at around midnight (give or take 15 minutes) and all the way there, a group of Karaoke kings and queens decided to start practising to relieve the boredom of the journey. Now who needs a TV and video to help pass the time away...

Hi!

A downside of the 20 baht taxis are that they will normally not take off if they are not full. If you arrive late and there is few people on the bus you may have to wait a long time for a taxi to take off.

regards

ALHOLK

Courtesy of Maddoc on Nanapong:

BKK - PTY 800 Baht. Tollway is extra.

Call 07 0281643 in BKK. The guys name is Mod. He speaks English. Shows up at your place in time and confirms the trip by phone before he picks you up. Have used him a few times: reliable. You might ask him to pick you up in PTY for the return trip a few days later.

Call 09 2498274 in PTY. Forgot the name. Speaks English. Confirms and arrives in time as well.

If they are busy they will send another driver. Works well.

The service is good. So, don't forget to tip the drivers. It's worth it.

Hi!

That depends on how late you arrive. If you take a late evening bus a lot of peopel get of in Chon Buri, Si Racha and other places along Sukhumvit. I have on several occasions arrived with only a handful of people in Pattaya and most of them had people waiting for them so I was the only one to take the taxi.

regards

ALHOLK

I took the last bus on my latest journey from Bkk(I'm not good with punctuality) and don't remember waiting. It could happen though...

It depends which bus you take. The express bus ticket office is on the right side of the ticket hall as you walk in. The people at the booth will direct you to the booth where the next Pattaya bus is leaving from. I think it can be better to wait for the next express one. The express bus stops at the Pattaya bus station where you can get straight on a BahtBus(20 Baht)

I had no idea there was another. Other than the regular air con blue bus, terminating at the Pattaya air con bus station on North Pattaya Road. Cost 90 baht. So are you saying there is one that terminates on the Sukhumvit Road? Non air con?

They are both air con. But one (the one to avoid if possible) stops often and drops you off on the main road in Pattaya.

The `express` air con bus on the right of the station goes to Pattaya bus station and I think is best.

Archived