Travel Insurance (Annual Worldwide)

I've decided to start a resource for those who are sensible enough to want to cover themselves.

Especially as these policies offer you medical cover far in excess of any local plan, in the LOS and beyond. (BUPA etc)

I'm only going to recommend insurance from the UK of GB. So, hopefully people from other countries can recommend their best deals.

I'm also concentrating on ANNUAL travel insurance, as most here appear to take multiple trips. ::

Ok, of the three I'll recommend, the first is the absolute least I think you should have.

You won't find better value, so don't bother looking.( I know some of you may disagree initially, but once you have checked the small print and read the details...)

Willis First Response: Link Travel Insurance: GBP54

Covers multiple trips of up to 60 days duration. A GBP35 excess on money, baggage and medical cost claims. Details on Freephone 0800 224422

Secondly,

Liverpool Victoria Annual Travel Insurance: GBP60 - GBP70 http://www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk/customer/protecting/travel

The main difference here, is that cover is extended to 90 days per trip(this can be extended to 100 per trip) and for a one off additional payment of around GBP10, an excess waiver will be applied. So, you can still claim for monetary and medical costs under GBP35. Quite possible/likely in the LOS. Freephone 0800373905

Thirdly; http://www.insureandgo.com Though their annual polices only cover multiple trips up to 45 days in duration, it is also possible to get instant quotes for over 65's and is very easy to use and has an excess waiver option. Always select the excess waiver option.

Pleas do not abuse these resources by making fraudulent claims. Keep the prices low for all of us.

Foreign nationals please feel free to add to this with your countries finest deals.

Brits, please do not post other deals, unless you are sure, after checking what is covered, excesses etc, that is offers better value than what is posted.

Then, please post why it is better.

Otherwise it will simply muddy the waters.

For example you may find a cheaper annual policy, but what is the excess? If it's GBP250, then it is completely useless to most people. How long is the trip duration? Most are limited to 31 days with a maximum permitted period of travel each year. Is it Worldwide or just European?

So, please check this before posting links etc

A good comparative site is http://www.moneysupermarket.com/Default.asp

Chok dee khrab

Will respond next week as is weekend now.(need docs in front of me)

We have a couple of great plans for extended travel.

However some insist on x number of trips and small print is a must.

More next week.

Will be intersting to compare countries..also exclusions and no cover..sars and countries on the no go list etc.

Not so much a no frills policy but WHAT you are covered for and in what situations.

Excellent.

The policies I've posted there are certainly very good quality, with no gaping holes in the cover.

That's precisely why I'm trying to encourage people to not just post the cheapest policies, but the best and best value.

Says valentinoxxx:

Excellent.

The policies I've posted there are certainly very good quality, with no gaping holes in the cover.

That's precisely why I'm trying to encourage people to not just post the cheapest policies, but the best and best value.

And cover that is right for the pax and destination etc.

I don''t know if we can mention word for word Re policies here maybe run this by KS before we post this stuff...legal stuff envolved.

Also are we/you mention brand names etc :dunno:

I'm not sure of KS's policy, but just as we can post the best deals on flights etc..

I think travel insurance is an important resource for a forum based on foreign travel.

I don't forsee a problem with KS.

I most certainly do not have any commercial links with any of the companies mentioned here.

A quick check will show that they are totally unconnected with each other.

Ok

but to be on the safe side as we will be commenting on legal docs i suggest we start off in PMs and then we can post general stuff on the board.

Give examples and benefits ,costs and pittfalls...age and medical complications re : declarations on pre exsisting etc.

Is a mine field for the first time traveller and even the frequent flyer (they sometimes are unawhere of the wording)

Belgium: I would recommend Europ Assistance.

I did chose for their "Prestige" contract with medical option.

They will reimburse or directly pay medical fees up to 1.250.000 euro!!! (that's more than 60 million baht), the biggest amount I ever found.

Price 107 eur for individual, 160 for married couple, 170 for family living under same roof.

An other important feature for me, but not for every one is that they cover trips up to 6 months, you need to return home for at least 14 days. This can be extended for 36 euro for each month additional stay.

I just had a close family member who died last monday. Wednesday afternoon I was on a flight Chumpon-bkk, a representative of the company waited for me at Donh Muang domestic to reimburse me for the Chumpon-bkk ticket (they could not get that to me in such a short time frame) and handed me a ticket on Thai Airways to Frankfurt and Brussels. Both their bkk agent and head office gave me phone calls to insure I was taken care off. A perfect service I would say.

Previousely I was insurred trough Mondial Assistance (belonging to the Elvia group of insurance companies), medical coverage was limited to 12.500 euro and 90 days trips, the premium was less: 100 euro for married couple.

12.500 euro for medical costs might not be sufficient to deal with serious events (surgery, intensive care) even in LOS.

Carefull though with small wording on any contract: no coverage for sickness existing before the trip with sudden risk of agravation.

But for expats who hardly return "home" a local health insurance might be preferable??? BUPA etc?

You have any stories like this one?

had a pax about 60 years old flying Syd to washington via La.

About 6 months ago.

Ok ticket hotels etc and you want travel insurance?

No do not need.

Ok sighn this form (what is it? a form that confirms we have offered insurance and has been refused etc) cost i think was $180 for 2 weeks to USA,

Has travelled with us before but trying to save a few dollars this trip ,anyway he took it out and was covered.

About 2 weeks before departure he fell over and hurt himself and could not travell..so lucky lucky...i use this example all the time ..USA is a must for insurance you can loose your home if not covered.

I don't think we need worry ourselves too much about the legal side of things.

We are not selling insurance here, more promoting the fact that insurance should be had and can be obtained at a reasonable price.

What I suggest, is to take the policies I have used, as a benchmark. Of course, this only applies to the UK.

ALL travel Insurance policies will insist that you declare pre existing conditions.

This forum is not a travel agency. It is for the exchange of information.

It is up to the individual to ask and answer the questions pertaining to his or her circumstances.

This, in principle, is in no way different from recommending an airline.

Hopefully, we can go back and delete all the these posts that don't contain TI information, to make it easier for those who want to peruse the info to do so.

Thanks Thalenoi

In fact, the medical and repatriation cover for the policies I have posted extend to over 650.000.000 baht(six hundred and fifty million baht) Probably with the US market in mind.

The Liverpool Victoria policy also allowing you to go home and refresh another 90 days cover.

Thanks for that. Another question for people to ask when they are looking a their TI needs.

Archived